HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Swap packs on 2004 HCH I

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2020, 05:12 PM
Enthusiast
Default Swap packs on 2004 HCH I

I am working on my dtr's car and it has a bumblebee battery that has been in the car for at least seven years, so no warranty help. IMA light is on, the car shows no charge every morning, then builds up a bit during the day of driving, then starts at zero next morning. I have a pack that I thought was solid and charged up, tap voltages were plus or minus 0.03v, so seemed pretty balanced. We swapped in that pack and got nothing. P1600, P1432, 12v battery light was on at idle which I don't like to see. So, I am stepping back and thinking more about this. I know insights better than I do civics. The bumblebee pack that was in place is part number ending in 24B. Do I need to swap with pack with same number? Is there a compatibility or update or recall issue that might make determine if they can function?

I haven't pulled the bumblebee pack apart yet to measure voltages on each stick. I was hoping just to swap a pack and get that car back on the road. Not sure what the next step is. I do have another pack (part ending 24B) that I am charging and discharging at the moment. That pack also looks it might have a bunch of healthy sticks that might function well, but I am not sure what to think about dismal fail n the first swap.

TIA for any help, info, thoughts

Mike

Old 07-15-2020, 09:24 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Swap packs on 2004 HCH I

Since you're familiar with Insights, you should be familiar with the PTC circuit. The PTC circuit was deleted in the HCH in mid-04. You likely have a mismatch between the vehicle's programming and the battery. If your newer battery is from a later '04 or 05, or a later replacement, then it does NOT have the PTC circuit, but your car expects one, OR, your car has been patched to NOT expect a PTC circuit, but it's throwing an error because it sees one. I suspect it's the former.

The bumblebee battery likely has the PTC strips installed or a 20-30Ω resistor installed in the temperature harness to "spoof" the computer into thinking a PTC circuit is present.

P1432 is related to a PTC circuit failure.

You likely need to either cut the wire to create an open circuit, or install a 20-30Ω resistor as a spoofed PTC circuit.

If the Bumblebee battery is truly empty with zero bars EVERY start, you likely have blown the IMA fuse that ensures the BCM retains power when ignition is off.

Old 07-16-2020, 06:57 AM
Enthusiast

thank you, S Keith. That is exactly what I needed to know. I will check both. I have done the 30 ohm resister workaround before on of my insights, so I know how to do that.

Thanks
Mike

Old 07-16-2020, 06:31 PM
Enthusiast

pulled things apart and as you thought, no ptc circuit in the BB pack and one present in the replacement pack that was throwing codes . The BB folks had cut in the resister in the red wire. I moved the thermisters to the bettter set of sticks using the little harness part that runs the thermister and ptc circuit (now defunct) and sent the pack home with my dtr's partner who says he can swap it back in.

It was not fuse on the discharge overnight, there was a bar or two most mornings, so maybe just a pretty tired set of bb sticks.

Fingers crossed for ima function and zero lights.

Cheers

Mike

Old 07-16-2020, 09:18 PM

This should fix the P1600 and P1432 codes.

Old 07-19-2020, 12:02 AM
Enthusiast

All beautiful! No CEL, no ima light, no codes. State of charge went straight up to 100% in about 3 miles. Very satisfying. Thanks again for help.

Old 07-19-2020, 07:26 AM

Glad to hear it!

Old 06-15-2021, 08:45 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MCoday
thank you, S Keith. That is exactly what I needed to know. I will check both. I have done the 30 ohm resister workaround before on of my insights, so I know how to do that.

Thanks
Mike
Hi Mike, since you have done 30 ohm resister work can you guide me how to install a resister on 06 HAH sb2 battery, the original back has ptc strip but sb2 has no strip and I need to try a resister on

Old 06-03-2022, 08:34 PM
Enthusiast

Hi Guys
I know this an old thread but I having the same problem and I wonder how can i connect the resistor, the newer battery was really expensive but useless with the code P1432 Thanks!!