HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Tachometer and trans issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 10:08 AM
ASE Master Mechanic
Default Tachometer and trans issues

Well, my saga continues. The CVT is all rebuilt and works great... when it wants to. When the trans doesn't work, it goes hand in hand with the Tach losing all RPM. It goes to zero, and feels like I threw the trans into neutral. I have no Codes stored, No EGR problems. The dome or reading lights do not work. All fuses on all systems are ok.

There are a few things that direcly cause the RPM/trans problems. Turn on the head lights, or running lights. Open any of the doors. and sometimes randomly the rpm gauge flutters, and sometime drops out. I know those problems are strange, and I cannot find a common link yet. I am not sure if this is an ECM issue or not. Even when this all happens no codes are stored.

in a week or so I think I'm going to tear into the electrical system behind the rear seat, and the area under the fuse panels. Thanks for any help.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:17 PM
ASE Master Mechanic
Default Re: Tachometer and trans issues

Forgot to mention, when watching the data with my scan tool the computer still sees RPM the whole time. so the computer never looses engine speed signal...

Old 02-09-2011, 05:22 PM
ASE Master Mechanic

Ok, so tore into the harness today, found 3 broken and corroded wires, a wht/red that is the 12 vdc wire for a lot of computers in the car. The wire for the 12vdc interior lights. and an unknown wire black with orange stripe. Trying to figure that out now. Putting the harness back together and putting the steering rack back in tonight. This was all where there was trapped water in the main harness just below the master cylinder coming off the underhood fuse panel.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:09 AM
Veteran Mechanic

Good to know these cars well at least 03-05 can have this issue maybe if more start popping up Honda will issue a TSB on it. Sorry it's your car though, corroded harnesses are a pita to deal with…...

Old 02-10-2011, 01:28 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Is this a Honda rebuilt or refurbished transmission? If so the transmission should be covered with the std 36 month Honda warranty.

If it is a Honda rebuilt unit and the dealer is putting you off then I'd politely demand to speak with your regional Honda service manager in person.

If this is a DIY repair then .... hmmm .....