HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Trunk Access

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 02:22 PM
Enthusiast
Default Trunk Access

I'm going to install a trunk lip mounted antenna for scanner and ham radio. Wondering how I get the cable from the trunk to the front seat area? Anybody know how to do this?

Thanks,
Dan

Old 10-30-2006, 02:59 PM
Default Re: Trunk Access

You can run it across the top of the trunk down the left or right side. There is a gap where you can go through on each side.

If you go to the page below and look at the second image down and look to the driver side you can see a red wire I installed. That shows the path I used to get through to the trunk.

http://www.soundomain.com/ride/524328/2

Old 10-30-2006, 04:04 PM
Enthusiast

Pull on the passenger side of the back seat at the top. Have someone shine a flashlight in the truck directing the beam to this top corner. You will then see the light and where to fish the wire through.

After you get it through to the back seat, tuck it in the side of the seat till you get down to the door sill. Then just run the wire along the door sill till you are under the dash. You can tuck the wire under the sill without removing it if the wire is thin enough.

I hope this helps.

Old 10-30-2006, 04:30 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for responding guys! Some info: I have a 2005 Civic Hybrid. The cable I'm trying to snake from the trunk into the seating area has a connector (bnc type) on it. So I'm looking for a hole big enough to fit this connector through. At the top of the back seat, actual the deck behind the reat seat has 3 caps that can be lifted up (I think this is for child seats?) it affords access to the trunk but the hole is not large enough to get the connector through. if it was just the cable it would be no problem but then i would not know how to get the connector back on the cable. I don't know how to remove the back seat and to remove the black (wall pieces?) in the trunk. I would apreciate any suggestions/help?

Thank,
Dan

Old 10-30-2006, 06:36 PM

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...gry5=REAR+SEAT

You just have to unbolt the 2 10s and the 1 9 in that picture. The 10s are at the sides. Alternatively you might be able to pull the side cussion enough where you can open a gap bigenough to feed something through like a dowel or something and then just tape your wire to it and pull it through.

I wish i were close by because its a really easy job.

Last edited by tbaleno; 10-30-2006 at 06:41 PM.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:25 AM
The New Guy

I was able to fit my entire hand from the passenger compartment into the trunk, so I would have to guess that your cable will fit if you use the holes found on the SIDE of the rear seats.

I ran cables along the door sill molding then behind the "wing" part of the rear driver side seat. You will find access to the trunk area after you remove the forward most trunk trim (the carpet stuff). The port is toward the outside of the car and is quite large.

Be mindful that the wing portions appear to have some sort of frame that allows them to adjust to fit body variations so you may have to press it back against the trim once you are done running your cables.

Old 10-31-2006, 02:41 PM
Enthusiast

OK guys, Thank You! I will have to look into this. I think, I'm understanding this but I have a question. How do I remove the REAR TRAY-TRUNK GARNISH? I don't want to break it. Is there a nack or special tool to remove this?

If I'm following you guys, if I remove the trunk garnish, I might not have to remove the back seat and I should easily see where I can put the cable through.

Thanks for the help!
Dan

Old 10-31-2006, 07:38 PM

You just pry them out I think. I don't remember if they have a notch in them for a screw driver or not, I think those just get pressed in so you just pry them out.

Old 11-02-2006, 03:55 PM
Enthusiast

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! You guys are what make the internet and this site in particular great!

I did the install today. It was very smooth, easy just like you said. I removed the center trunk garnish and was able to pry back enough (without removing) the passenger side trunk garnish. I saw the whole to snake the wire through, Pryed (moved over) the upper rear seat and found the wire. It was a breeze from there.

Again thank you very very much for all the information and suggestions. I hope I can be helpful to someone someday like you guys have been to me!

Dan