HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Valve Adjustment/Timing Belt?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 03:31 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Valve Adjustment/Timing Belt?

Just did my adjustment this morning. Thank you for the great instructions. However, I would just like to add that my 04 is an automatic and turning the tire while it was on jack stands with the tranny in neutral did not turn the cam. What I had to do was insert an large socket wrench (forgot the size) with an extension into a hole located behind the front passenger tire directly underneath the engine and manually turn the cam this way. Not hard at all if you have the proper tools. My valves were not too bad at all with just a couple needing very minor adjustments. Also replaced all 8 spark plugs with denso's at the same time and cleaned out the EGR valve.

One mishap I did have was I overtightened one of the valve cover bolts and snapped off the head. Now I have to remove that bolt and replace it. I did not have a torque wrench but oh well. Off to the dealer tomorrow for a replacement bolt and a EGR gasket.

Next up will be the cvt tranny fluid change.

Last edited by pscdoc; 04-25-2010 at 03:35 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:25 PM
Enthusiast

My version of the procedure. http://www.theyeagergroup.com/2004_h...clearance.html

Old 11-16-2010, 11:42 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks cbxtc6 for the excellent directions and photos. It took me about 1.5 hrs to do the job. I was worried about how to turn the engine, (I have a CVT), but when I removed the valve cover I noticed that there is a hex on the cam shaft between the chain pully and the 1st shaft support. A 1 1/16" wrench fits perfectly. Just be careful not to damage the soft housing with the big wrench.

Attached Thumbnails Valve Adjustment/Timing Belt?-20101111_1817.jpg   Valve Adjustment/Timing Belt?-20101111_1818.jpg  
Old 11-17-2010, 04:14 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hkaneg
Thanks cbxtc6 for the excellent directions and photos. It took me about 1.5 hrs to do the job. I was worried about how to turn the engine, (I have a CVT), but when I removed the valve cover I noticed that there is a hex on the cam shaft between the chain pully and the 1st shaft support. A 1 1/16" wrench fits perfectly. Just be careful not to damage the soft housing with the big wrench.
i have a CVT too when i did mine i had all the plugs out cause it was the perfect time to change them since all the coils were off. and with the plugs removed i was able to turn the motor just by moing the belt with my hand.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:23 AM
Enthusiast

I followed this procedure, snapped a couple bolts when putting back on the valve cover, but oh well.

My question is:

In all of your pictures, your cam shafts are silver. Mine were a bronze color. I'm also burning oil (2 quarts every 3-5k miles). So I was wondering if this indicates that my valve seals need replacement.

Old 09-13-2014, 02:27 PM
Enthusiast

Question I'm a chick so dont be rude please im just asking because i understand nothing of whats going on! But I have a 2005 Honda civic hybrid and my ac all of a sudden stopped wworking as well as its making a funny noise. So I went to a mechanic near buy he wanted to charge me 1500 to change out everything, my pockets cant produce that. So with that being said how easy is it to change the belt myself?? I can do without the ac for now but the guy said the pulley and belt were a must, Any response is greatly appreciated!!

Old 09-15-2014, 12:54 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by selinaf27
Question I'm a chick so dont be rude please im just asking because i understand nothing of whats going on! But I have a 2005 Honda civic hybrid and my ac all of a sudden stopped wworking as well as its making a funny noise. So I went to a mechanic near buy he wanted to charge me 1500 to change out everything, my pockets cant produce that. So with that being said how easy is it to change the belt myself?? I can do without the ac for now but the guy said the pulley and belt were a must, Any response is greatly appreciated!!
Hey, check out this blog post:
http://runnells.name/blog/?p=523

He bypasses the ac by putting in a smaller belt. I did this on my car. I had a mechanic do the work though, but he was an idiot and didn't adjust the tensioner and claimed the belt didn't fit. He ended up putting a smaller belt and still got the job done.

I wouldn't do it yourself. Should be $100 for a decent mechanic to do it. The problem is you need to get the car in the air as you access the serp belt from below.