HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

10,000 mi. reset?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 02:04 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 10,000 mi. reset?

Originally Posted by Anahymbrid
unless it's just a coincidence that it happens to be displaying the same as what your lifetime average is. I don't believe there is a fifth digit for the miles on the trip meters, so once you hit 10,000... it should be back to 0000.

As long as you're using the green hybrid site to record your mileage (are you???), there's no real reason to tie up trip "b" for lifetime averages.
The display if definitely showing lifetime average at this time. It did roll over the 10000 and shows only a few miles, but the FE# is the LMPG. My wife's Touring Odyssey does the same thing. The trip meter in that car only goes to 1000miles and then turns over, but the 'trip b' still displays the lifetime average.

As far as using the GH database, I am not... how easy is it to use? I would have to eneter my mileage and fuel at each interval... hate to admit it, but it's probably not for me then.

Old 10-31-2006, 02:41 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Anahymbrid (and others who do this) - Why the heck are you using the Trip B to measure lifetime miles? That is what the odometer is for. If you are thinking of using it for LFE (Lifetime Fuel Economy) then why not use the Mileage Database on this own great site?

In a similar item - is there any difference in the Trip B meter up to 9,9xx miles and the car's odometer? On my previous car, with stock tires/wheels, there would be a difference over several hundred miles. This car had an analog odometer but if I reset the Trip to 0 when the odometer read 60,000 then the Trip would read 500.8 miles and the odometer would be 60,500 (for example). Unfortunately, our odometer does not show tenths of a mile (one gripe of mine) but does it roll at the same time that the Trip B does for you?

And what happens when you take out someone to show them how the car works and they test drive it and get a 25 mpg average for 20 miles? You want them to ruin your lifetime average? That's why I do like Cherokee180 with "A" for the day/trip and "B" for the tank. I enter this not only in an Excel spreadsheet but also the GreenHybrid's Mileage Database.

Old 10-31-2006, 03:02 PM
Active Enthusiast

I like to be as efficient as possible, but do not really need to keep track of my LMPG... via trip computer or GH database... just my choice!

Old 10-31-2006, 05:21 PM

I was about to make a comment about your post, EZ, but I understand your position. This is my first new car so I'm tracking things until they get predictable. With my tracking the Oil Life % since new I was able to see that the original oil made the Oil Life % change every 900 miles or so but after the first oil change to Mobil 1 it is changing every 1,150 miles or so which is nice to see. If I had not tracked the first 9,000 miles I might not have realized this difference. I'm a computer geek and car enthusiast so it just comes naturally though. <grin>

Old 10-31-2006, 06:09 PM
Wo ai Zheng!

Think I'm an oddball here... using 'A' to keep track of tanks, and 'B' for oil+filter

Old 10-31-2006, 11:01 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Flash... slight misunderstanding here... I was using the other trip meter for lifetime MPG (not mileage)... until I learned that it resets beyond 9,999.9 miles. Mine did reset, and from that point forward I began to use the trip meter for sampling shorter rides and segments. I have indeed tracked my MPG in the Greenhybrid.com database from the very first tank, so I'm covered!

EZ... yes, the site is easy, but you will have to plug in the gallons and miles from each receipt for fuel. I'm "motivated" to see how good my MPG is and how I'll rank among our nearly 400 HCHII members, so for me... it's easy. If you're not as motivated, you'll at least need to save those receipts and plug them in at your convenience. Just jot the mileage down on the gas slip, then reset your trip meter. You can plug them into the site whenever you want.

Last edited by Anahymbrid; 11-01-2006 at 09:25 AM.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:04 AM

Smirk (Jeff). So my rebuttal is -- why reset your Trip B mpg reading if you are using it for LFE? If you aren't using it for the mileage since you have an odometer then that makes sense but if you've reset it then it is too late. Since the onboard computer is not as accurate as the hand-calculations I am not sure why I would have kept a lifetime dash readout if it is constantly 2-5 mpg lower than actual -- you are just cheating yourself <grin>. Right?

You didn't answer my question though -- how accurate was the Trip meter after, say, 5,000 miles to the actual odometer. Accurate to less than 0.1 mile?

Old 11-01-2006, 09:34 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Flash... you're right! I was slow... it took me 10,000 miles to realize that I didn't really need to see that (inaccurate by -2mpg) display. I guess it was the finality of pressing that reset button. Knowing that once it is pushed, nothing can ever get the data back! Once I took the plunge, however, all was fine!

As for the accuracy of the miles (not mpg), it matched up perfectly to the odometer reading for the entire 10,000 miles. I didn't actually watch it turn over to 10,000... the last time I had actually compared the two (odometer vs. trip meter) was at about 9,600 miles. It was perfectly aligned.

Old 11-01-2006, 11:18 AM
Wo ai Zheng!

At least until my oil+filter change a couple weeks ago, my 'B' meter and lifetime odo were also in perfect sync, not accounting for the 3mi driven to get the car on/off the boat/train/truck, and the dealer's own check-out before they reset both meters the day I took delivery.

Old 11-02-2006, 06:33 AM

Good to know the odometers were accurate. Thanks.

And no prob, Anahymbrid, we're all on the same page now. It would be nice to have a third meter for lifetime average that can not be reset (great for resale value maybe) and maybe this is saved in the "black box" but not displayed for us mortals.

As luck would have it - I had my camera in the car for some very momentous occasions on the odometer: 1000 miles, 1234 miles, 5000 miles, and 10000 miles. I am hoping to capture the 15000 mile mark here in two days. I almost always have it displaying the Trip A meter for my daily mpg so only by flipping through to get the tank mpg (Trip B) and then back to the Trip A do I see the odometer and how it is at 4998 miles and I wonder if I should play the Lottery that day.

Oh, I also have a photo of the VERY rare occasion of being in EV mode AND having 5 bars of assist. Having 4 bars of assist is simple but sustaining 5 bars for 0.2 miles AND capturing it with the camera is impressive. I think I had 5 bars for closer to 0.4 or 0.5 miles but can only prove this for 0.2 miles. That was a good day - at the 43.7 mile mark for the day I was at 56.9 mpg. That was around the 9,800 mile mark on the car and that 633 miles for the tank was 54.9 mpg average with two daily runs of 98 miles at 55.6 mpg and 139 miles at 56.0 mpg. That was a good couple of days.

Quick Reply: 10,000 mi. reset?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands