HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

30K Oil Test results - Most Excellent!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 09:54 AM
Über Lord of Hypermillia
Default 30K Oil Test results - Most Excellent!

As many of you know, I have been changing the oil on my HCHII at approximately 10K intervals. I recently completed the 30K maintenance of the car and have received the oil sample test for the last fill. That fill ran a little longer than usual at over 11K miles.

Below are the results of the test. I have been using Mobil1 0W-20 in the car since the 10K maintenance, and the Civic engine seems to like it. Notice the decrease in Silicon from the initial fill, indicating that it does take a while for all of the residue from the manufacture of the engine to work its way out. For those that are skeptical of longer oil change intervals, here is proof that it is the responsible thing to do and will cause no damage to the engine. By using the engine oil for a longer interval, you are saving money, and more importantly putting less waste oil back into the environment.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:10 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 30K Oil Test results - Most Excellent!

Nice but I'll stick with the OLM in the HCHII. There's such a wide swing in temps here in MN and I don't want to push it. With all the driving I do, the oil usually gets changed at 8K. In my case, I wouldn't be saving that much money and no concern for the environment b/c I recycle my oil.

Orient Express, what % does your OLM read when the oil is changed?

Old 05-29-2008, 10:16 AM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

It usually goes to 0 at about 8K. I find that it is a nice feature for those that don't have automotive skills and scare easily, but it is so conservative in its estimations, that it is leaving useful oil on the table. 10K is a reasonable fill change, and the science supports that interval.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:36 AM
Active Enthusiast

Either way, nice information. BTW, I'm at about 15% at when I hit 7.5K

Old 05-29-2008, 11:55 AM
Active Enthusiast

That's awesome. I try to drive mine until it hits 5%, which this last round was about 8800 miles since the last oil change. It's still better than that 3000 mile BS that still gets spouted around.

I remember being infuriated hearing some guy on the radio give tips on how to save fuel for the good of the environment. He recommended 3000 mile oil change intervals to help fuel economy, never minding the vast amounts of motor oil being wasted. I mean, even recycling takes energy.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:59 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

That is good infoe Gary. Now all you have to do is change your filter every other change!!! Don't be scared! Cheers, H

Old 05-29-2008, 01:19 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia
Default I'm over Oil filter Phobia

At the 40K maintenance, I'll leave the filter in. (after I take it out and drain the oil that is inside it!)

Old 05-29-2008, 01:23 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

So you actually only change the filter every other change! I do as well. It appears that everything is working out well then. I was under the impression you changed your filter on every change. Thanks, H

Old 05-29-2008, 01:43 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Any way we could see the TBN (total base number) for each oil change? This is a true indicator of the condition of the oil and additive package when it is tested.

Also I noticed on the first change, the molybdenum ppm is high. This is an additive (and a good one at that).. If this was factory fill,,,I wonder what they are using in there!!

Interesting stuff, thanks for sharing

08feh

Old 05-29-2008, 02:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

Very nice! Thanks for the interesting data.

I usually have my dealership change my oil, what would they say if they see my OLM at -2000 miles?

Also, even at 40K why not change the filter at each oil change? They are so cheap, and it can only help your engine.

Last edited by pagemap; 05-29-2008 at 02:13 PM.

Quick Reply: 30K Oil Test results - Most Excellent!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands