HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

"54.4 mpg to/51.4 mpg from.. ..30-40 degree temps/62-74 ranging speed"

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 11:06 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default "54.4 mpg to/51.4 mpg from.. ..30-40 degree temps/62-74 ranging speed"

Say Hey Gang,

"Oh Yea & A Weeeeee" to boot too !!!!

Well finally, got what I have wanted & have been trying for somehow, or another the past couple weeks. That little something I have been calling in the back of my mind gel, the "One day 50 Double". Just a cool deal knowing I am getting the "Feathering of the Pedal"down to more of a easy knack to seal-up those valve seats. Had a fair share of one way 50 + miles one way trips with regards to the haul in/out & to/from the daily salt mines.

Needless to say, "Today was a treat/Today was a roll".

Seems the "Gem Car" of the hybrid world ( ok, so I'm biased. lol ) was just made/designed to move with ease no matter the speeds as long as a guy can keep the gas intake to the cylinders nil-and-void as much as possible, and coast-coast-coast. Letting the mpg bar graph fall below 40%, and it's like a struggle making the system play catch up. That of which, I am finding to be boring in comparison to the other side of the coin.

Nothing gets me smiling as much as an accent uphill, holding speeds with-in a +/- of a mph, and being able to watch the mpg bar graph hold, and/or gain with the slightless bit more pressure applied up/down to the foot feed. Seems I am learning what it means to pull-off the opposite. Less is the concern these days about getting the battery greens to blank out, and the asisit whites to chime in. Although 4 bars of asisit, and on the somewhat occasion 5, is the shot-in-the-arm.

As far as the weather & temps, I am begining to wonder, who's to say. Perhaps when things are @ a constant 20 degrees, or less. But @ the momment the ol' "PinBall" seems to play quite fine with the close to freezing mark. I even had a bout with "Winter Bumble" last week. Drove thru a lighting quick cold front with a 25 degree reading that dumped 3-6 inches in the first 45 min. of the commute. Made the call to my working bro to check the weather in the metro. Kevin told me the weather/roads were clear & to let the car do it's magic thing. Time I pulled into my usuall parking spot @ work I had 47 + mpg showing.

As for the speeds. I have tried two lane & slow. I have tried interstate & slow ( & but of course, fast. lol ). Best that works for me is set pace with someone ( car or truck. slow or fast. really no matter ), so I don't have the constant battle of having the battery jazz doing it's slowing of the motion stuff. Perhaps in time, I am to mellow with experience. But for now though it's the constant change that has me still thrilling strong on this whole way of driving.

"Best case Senrio" to date happened to happen today.

Heading home with the 350 feet increase in elevation, of the 70 mile haul, I took a liking to the 65-68 mph speeds of a "Flamed-Painted Conventional Peterbuilt" that slipped in front of me. On a couple of occasions of coming up onto slower moving traffic, as some of the "Real Zoooomers" would be approaching, I took liberity to move into the passing lane ( with ample space, again but of course ), and gave the curtiousy flash of the lights to those 18 wheels. The opportunity of not having to slow down for both of us was paid-off to the fullest when he took his exit 40 miles later. The pleasent gesture of a hand wave given by the two of us. Another reason to smile !!!!

Overall just a, "Bit of Gleafull Spoutin' Off", one could say, lol.

John