HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

60.5 Mpg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 03:49 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 60.5 Mpg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are the man. I'm going to shoot for over 50 mpg once the weather gets warmer. I like cruise control too much! And gliding and watching bar shoot up is sweet too.

And you are right on the acceleration tip...there is a happy medium...same with braking...but I find it best to glide and go very slow into the braking.

Old 02-19-2008, 02:18 PM
AJR
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PapaMile
I confirm you're right. You better reach your speed asap (4-5 bars) then glide as far as possible. If you accelerate as slowly as possible, you pass all your time accelerating with a very limited glide. Actually, your 60 mpg shows that you could teach to many others.

Great performance for the winter. Just for let you know. I live in Quebec, Canada. The last (and first) summer, my average was 56 mpg (with two thanks at 60 and one ride at 70 mpg). My first winter tanks were 42.7 mpg and with some improvement, I should end the winter with an average around 48 mpg.

Pierre M.
The only problem with this is having the distance to glide as far as possible! When my commute of just 7-8 miles in the morning consists of a minimum of 4 stops signs and 9 traffice lights, there's nowhere to glide! So I use the slow and steady acceleration technique while watching the lights ahead. If I know I can make it though the next light, I will accelerate a little faster so I can glide, otherwise, I may only get to 25 or 30mph then glide to the next light because it's red, hoping I don't have to stop when I get there if it turns green! No sense in wasting the gas to get to 45, drop mpg by 0.8 to 1.5 for the acceleration, and only gain 0.2 to 0.5 back on the short glide to the red light! If I can go slower on the acceleration and lose 0.2 to 0.5 mpg, and gain back 0.5mpg while gliding the short distance, then I'm happy.

You lose mpg quicker than you can gain it. If your mpg shows 50mpg, and you accelerate with your iFE showing 25mpg, you will lose more mpg than you can gain with the iFE showing 75mpg over the same distance. For example, a 5-7 second acceleration to 35mph with iFE showing about 25mpg can lose you about 0.8 to 1.2mpg on the display, while a glide of 5-7 seconds with iFE showing 75mpg (or even closer to 100mpg) will only gain you 0.3 to 0.6mpg! Of course, the goal is the coast/glide for longer than you accelerate, but if the conditions aren't there to do so, then you have to adjust your techniques that work the best for you. If you're in a rural area and you have 2 or more miles between lights/stop signs, then yes, accelerate quicker to glide longer. In the city where you have lights every 1/2 mile or less, then be more gentle.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:42 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

^Very true. Thank you for putting it into words! (and well-written ones too)