HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Any advice for a first time oil changer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 10:07 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Any advice for a first time oil changer?

I've used the search and learned that I need ramps with a shallow angle, and I should buy some extra clips just in case. I will also make sure to use a new crush washer on the filter and fill it with oil first. Does the plug bolt have a crush washer too?

Any other "gotchas" I should be concerned about?

Old 03-14-2008, 04:14 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia
Default Re: Any advice for a first time oil changer?

The crush washer is on the drain plug bolt not the filter. Don't mess with pre-filling the filter, just rub a little oil on the filter O-ring gasket and stick it on 1/4 - 1/2 turn more than you can do it easily by hand.

Be sure to use 0-20 oil, and now is a good time to change over to Mobil 1.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:24 PM
Wo ai Zheng!

Take your time, don't bother with ramps (unless you're short and/or stocky), and as already said, the washer goes on the bolt and just put film of oil on the filter, rather than filling it totally.

Old 03-15-2008, 04:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

Use an oil extractor. I have not touched a drain plug in years. Best piece of equipment I have bought, search for Pela extractors.

Old 03-15-2008, 04:49 PM

If you are carefull with the fasteners they should be OK.I don't remove the pan completely when changing oil & filter. I remove the row of bolts,and first row of fastners only.This allows you to access the drain and filter. Makes the job much simpler. I change the filter only when the MM tells me to. I do however drain the old oil. Cheers,H

Old 03-17-2008, 04:30 AM
Active Enthusiast

Hope this helps you:

http://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1879497

Old 03-17-2008, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by peking
Great thread--thanks for the link!!! I love picture walkthroughs--that is a huge confidence builder for someone who is not the most mechanically apt person!

Thanks everyone--I picked up the oil and filter yesterday, but I'm going to wait for warmer weather since I still have 15% left.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:46 AM

That is a good link, but read your manual first. You don't change your oil at 1500 miles on the first change. Also the oil filter is not to be changed on the first change. This is how we broke cars in, in the past. Don't treat your HCH2 like that, it is a bit more high tech. Cheers, Hal

Old 03-17-2008, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Harold
That is a good link, but read your manual first. You don't change your oil at 1500 miles on the first change. Also the oil filter is not to be changed on the first change. This is how we broke cars in, in the past. Don't treat your HCH2 like that, it is a bit more high tech. Cheers, Hal
This will be the second oil change and I'm using the maintenance minder as a que (it went to 15% the other day--I'll let it get down to 10%). I am not sure if the dealer replaced the filter or not on change #1 so I bought a Napa Gold and plan on replacing it just in case. I'm stoked to switch to Mobil 1 on this change.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:29 AM
Active Enthusiast

I agree, let your OLM tell you when to change the oil but replacing the oil filter on the first oil change isn't going to harm your car.

Quick Reply: Any advice for a first time oil changer?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands