HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Anyone use Super Unleaded?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 01:05 PM
Default Re: Anyone use Super Unleaded?

Higher octane fuel has less energy.

If you aren't using A/C lately that will have a huge impact. Also different brands of gas make a difference. You might find out that the higher octane of one manufacturer gives you better mileage, but it may not be the octane but the formulation of the gas. Try gas at different companies see which in your area work best.

Last edited by tbaleno; 10-26-2006 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Fixed spelling.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:58 PM
Enthusiast

User and abuser

Old 10-27-2006, 05:15 AM
The Devil's in the detail

This facinates me!

I have been using 91RON (Australia) for the entire time I have had my HCH II and no matter what I do I can't get over 5L/100klm (45-47 mpg).

I can't understand how many other drivers on this forum with HCH-II can get well over 50mpg. I am now thinking that perhaps the U.S. standard fuel equivalent is higher than 91RON. We can get 91, 93, 95 98 and 99RON here in Aus. so I think following one of the posts here I will give it a try.

I understand all of the chemistry surrounding resistance to pinging at higher compressions etc...but 44 to 61mpg...wow.

I'll keep you posted.

Old 10-27-2006, 06:42 AM

When testing make sure temps and winds are about the same. Try to eliminate as much variables as possible. It's spring there now right? You should be seeing an increase in mileage as the temps warm up (provided you don't use A/C). So account for that. Also, check and see if Australia has laws like the US where parts of the country has different forumulations for different seasons. If They do then you might notice a change do to that as well.

For instance my MPG in winter is abour 34mpg. In summer I am able to push an occasional 55 or 60mpg.

Old 10-28-2006, 01:42 AM
The Devil's in the detail

Yes it is spring at the moment. Ah....this could be another reason I haven't been able to get the MPG you guys get. It's been winter pretty much the whole time since I purchased the HCH-II in April. Although, winter for us is at worst no less than 5C.

Old 10-28-2006, 07:02 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

5C ? Nice winters, indeed.

We're about to get into the -20C temps. Quite often we get -35C to -40C just to spice things up a little - by that time just don't ask me about FE.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 10-29-2006, 07:30 AM
Wo ai Zheng!

Yeah, 'cept you Canucks get block heaters by default. We Yanks have to add them aftermarket, and apartment dwellers like me wouldn't have a place to plug in anyway Though this does raise a question... Not to hijack the thread, but do all (or most) North American (US/Canada, I doubt Mexico has this problem) block heaters use NEMA 5-15P connectons? Where I work we dump an absolutely insane amount of energy into massive bulk resistors as part of test processes, but with green-minded management, I don't think it'd be too far of a stretch to equip some of our parking lot rows with outlets to plug into. Just need to make sure the right ones are provided.

Old 10-29-2006, 09:22 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Chris, in the case of the HCH we do not get the block heaters by default. Block heaters are typically offered as an option that most "Canucks" add at the time of purchase.

Yes, we use the same old plug 15A std plug. But even that can be remedied with an extension cord - we all need one anyway. One end of the extension cord could be changed to sport the right plug (20-30A easily found at Home Depot).

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 10-29-2006, 12:14 PM
Wo ai Zheng!

Hmm... I got the impression that blocks were standard for you guys, the same way you get heated mirrors (do those even do anything?). Standard 5-15P though makes me a bit more confident in my idea Anybody know what Chevy's old EV-1 used for a plug?

Old 10-29-2006, 12:23 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Yeah, heated mirrors are good but only for those days when you have a mix of snow and freezing rain which does not happen often in the deep freeze areas. In fact, I have never used the heated mirror feature in any of my previous vehicles. Instead, we should have it as an option and the block heater should be standard equipment.

Cheers;

MSantos