HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

average milage european drivers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 07:41 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default average milage european drivers?

Hello everyone,

It has been a while since i last posted. I've tried to be a "good boy" and started entering the tankstops in the database but the conversion from liters to gallons, kilometres to miles and also from km per liter to liter per 100 km ruined it for me.

It's a shame because in the setup it is possible to view the database in km and liters but data entry is only possible in mpg.

Now i was wondering how the european drivers are doing because we ride verry differently compared to our US college's (or aussie for that matter)

I've just passed the 4.000 km mark and so far i've acheived an average of 15 km per liter. At first i blamed this on my rims (17 inch ) and drivingstyle but i've already heard from others and an carmagazine that they're achieving roughly the same milage.

Probably has to do with the high speeds and a lot of stop and go traffic.

Hope to hear from you.

Greets

Last edited by BlueVFRank; 02-02-2007 at 07:48 AM.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:13 AM
rgx
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: average milage european drivers?

Yes it depends a lot on speed and other factors. I have managed to get an average over 10000 km of 5.20 L/100 km. The database shows a higher value for me, but that's because I enter the displayed value in there. I have seen consumption going up a bit now in the winter.

Two carmagazines over here reported 5.7 L/100 km for both Prius2 and the HCHII, a figure which should be within reach for everyone. I am driving very carefully, have increased the tire pressure a bit, and try to turn the AC off when not needed.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:19 AM
Active Enthusiast

It's almost impossible for me to drive below 5l/100km on the real time indicator! Only when i'm doing not more than 80km per hour i'll manage soemthing like 5.5 as soon as i get on the highway its over 7l per 100.

I never us the ac except when the windows are fogging up.

Hop e this improves over time, i've already read quiet a lot of posts where people say it improves after 5.000 miles

Old 02-02-2007, 09:15 AM
rgx
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlueVFRank
It's almost impossible for me to drive below 5l/100km on the real time indicator! Only when i'm doing not more than 80km per hour i'll manage soemthing like 5.5 as soon as i get on the highway its over 7l per 100.

I never us the ac except when the windows are fogging up.

Hop e this improves over time, i've already read quiet a lot of posts where people say it improves after 5.000 miles
I'd say you might have a problem with your car. Cruising at 80 km/h you should get around 4.5 L/100 km easily. Either your tires do have a very high rolling resistance, or there is some other problem. Perhaps wrong tire pressure, or toe-in setting (which a few members have reported).

The real-time indicator scale is confusing, I suspect that when one thinks it displays 5.5, it is actually 5.0. And doesn't it have 20 segments, to display 0-12 L/100 km? Try using the trip instead.

Highway consumption depends a lot on the speed. At around 105 km/h I get 5 L/100 km, but at 120-130 km/h it's rather 6 L/100 km. That's in ideal conditions, like a sunny summer day. Factors like head wind, rain and cold have a huge impact to the worse, maybe that's what you're seeing.

Old 02-02-2007, 05:02 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by BlueVFRank

It's a shame because in the setup it is possible to view the database in km and liters but data entry is only possible in mpg.

I hear what you are saying. It is a major beef for me too.

In Canada we measure distance, speed and volume the same way we do in Europe. However, every single time I enter mileage into the database I have to convert my data into US Gallons, US miles, and MPG which is a pain.

With respect to your fuel economy:
Yes, something is not quite right. I would start by looking at you tire pressure. Raise it to almost the Maximum sidewall pressure and see what that does for you.

In terms of fuel economy figures, I personally average 4.5 liters/100km (22.72km/l) during the summer months. This is all with stop and go city traffic, so I know you can do better solely based on my experiences.
In the winter it is another story. I average 6.4 l/100km (15.6km/l) in -32C temperatures. But I must say, it would be far worse if I drove with the wrong attitude.

In addition to the tire pressure thing, perhaps you could start using some of Tarabell's suggested techniques (DWL, DWB, CS-P&G, HS-P&G, etc.). When these are used correctly, you should definitely see your fuel economy increase.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 02-02-2007, 06:58 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

My Canadian car has Kilometer as well as US miles per gal. Canadians can do thier reporting in US MPG,if they switch the adometer! I always switch to MPH when entering the US. It makes life much easier, on thier highways.

Old 02-03-2007, 01:53 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rgx

Highway consumption depends a lot on the speed. At around 105 km/h I get 5 L/100 km, but at 120-130 km/h it's rather 6 L/100 km. That's in ideal conditions, like a sunny summer day. Factors like head wind, rain and cold have a huge impact to the worse, maybe that's what you're seeing.
I've picked upmy car mid december so perhaps when the temps go up my fuell economy will go down. But this year we'va had the warmest winter in over 300 years so i was expecting this wouldn't have to much of an effect on the FE.

I'll try and raise my pressure slightly but i'm already running 2.4 bar in the front and 2.2. rear ( remember i'm run tyres on 40mm high) But i don't want to effect handeling to much.

I use the cruise control as much as possible (even on verry winding roads wich an eventual passenger really wouldn't like!

Highway speed cc setting is 135 for me, thats cruising allong on the right lane!

In the netherlands there are quiet a lot of people who try to use as little fuel as possible we pay euro 1,35 per liter! but they do it by driving 90 on the highway. thats lethal!

I'll keep you posted.

Now i have to go and wash the beast

Old 02-03-2007, 05:59 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Many people would argue that the car's handling will improve as the pressure increases. The only issue of concern is the harshness of the ride which gets more pronounced with the pressure increase.
On my tires, I run 2.89 bar in the rear and 3bar in the front tires, and that is just shy of the maximum sidewall pressure.

At 1.35 Euro/liter, the fuel is far more expensive there than it is here. Currently the fuel costs where I live are at rough equivalent of 0.60 Euro /liter.

Since you actually cruise control your speed to 135km/h I would say there's nothing wrong with the car. The fuel economy you are getting is consistent with those speeds.
As far as I can tell, going above 100km/h means your fuel economy will decrease dramatically. That's life.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 02-04-2007, 02:19 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by msantos
At 1.35 Euro/liter, the fuel is far more expensive there than it is here. Currently the fuel costs where I live are at rough equivalent of 0.60 Euro /liter.

Cheers;

MSantos
The fuel price consists of more than 60% taxes, besides that we pay roadtax dependind on the car a couple of hundred euro's a year and as a little bonus we pay 49% tax when buying a motorvehicle!.

Thats why most europeans have one medium size (ford focus / civic hybrid) car or when both partners work to small cars. And i mean small, like Smart small! (wich i believe will be availalble in the US and canada shortly so you will be able to see for yourself!

p.s. i now that my highway milage is as expected, its the low speed milage that surprises me a bit. How is it possible that some people manage belowe 4 liter per 100!? Do they only ride it downhill and let it get towed up?

Old 02-04-2007, 06:37 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Yeah, we've had the Smart cars here for a while. Its our friends in the US that are likely to get them soon.

In my experience, it is possible to get below 4L/100km. During the summer, I get segments like that in some of the City driving I do. For me this is only possible if we manage our battery state of charge carefully so that we go EV when it matters the most. It is also easy to refine the FE results even further if we can afford some P&G especially when the traffic allows it.

My best segments so far have produced 3.8l/100km during the ideal summer conditions. very soothing indeed, but unfortunately not sustainable since driving conditions in predominantly city traffic is always a gamble of sorts.

Cheers;

MSantos

Quick Reply: average milage european drivers?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands