HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Baby got broke

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 05:52 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Baby got broke

It had to happen I suppose, some jerk driving on the wrong side of the road hit my pride & joy. -He was cited for driving on the wrong side of the road, distracted driving & driving with no insurance.
http://picasaweb.google.com/Justbob30

On December 8 I had an uninsured (of course) driver driving a chevy cargo van cross over the line and come right at me, I swerved as hard to the right as I could & he still hit me, both side air bags went off... he hit me from the end of the driver door to the end of the car, started me spinning, hit the curb changed direction and ended up sitting the wrong way in traffic myself.
The estimate came in today, just over $10,000 in damage but I guess considering this came really close to being a head on, there was no blood and the car sacificed itself for us, things went better than they could have.

Of course, as I mentioned, he was uninsured, and gave the police a false address. What makes me mad is he told the police he was looking for his cell phone , he showed no concern even when the ambilance came & took my passenger to the hospital. We both are now having problems as we both have existing bad backs & the tourque shifts seem to have created problems.

I am suppose to get my car back after the 1st of the year.

Old 12-17-2007, 06:07 PM
Eco Accelerometrist
Default Re: Baby got broke

Sorry to hear about your bad luck Bob.

Any chance that you can call for a write-off ? Do you have "new car protection" insurance?

The reason I ask this is that there's extensive work needed and even though it is not "deep" it will definitely go above $10,000 especially the the job is to be well done. I smell a potential lawsuit.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 12-17-2007, 06:41 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Yes I have new car replacement, the estimate is pretty complete including a new rear axle and suspension....The body shop is the only Honda certified shop in town & They worked on my Accord for a fender bender.....granted much less damage but a fantastic job all the same.

I am good with the appriasal because they caught details like cleaning the interior because soda pop was spilled, checking out the condition of the batteries, replacing the battery cover (the fireman bent it when they checked the batteries) and a couple of other little details that might have been overlooked.

My insurance company refuses to do a replacement for less than 75% so, I think it will be o.k.

Old 12-17-2007, 06:46 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

Sorry for your loss, but that will buff out !

Are those some of those bi-fold blinds I see on the windows?

(seriously though, the 8th gen Civic platform has the highest safety rating awarded, it is really a little tank!)

Old 12-17-2007, 07:45 PM
Active Enthusiast

get it fixed - and trade it. Even if its fixed perfectly, no reason to have the memories around. Sorry and good luck!

Old 12-17-2007, 09:03 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

I hope the repair works really well for you.

I personally would seek additional compensation for the accident because:

- The car's title now has a significant accident reference and that will most often lower its value by X amount if you were to sell it the day after versus selling it with a clean ownership record. I view this "loss" as a claimable amount and I would seek it through the courts if possible.
- My experience with accidents of this degree is that regardless of how well the repair goes, the car will almost never be the same. Squeaks, premature rattles and sometimes rust almost always seem to arrive earlier in the repaired area. Like GardenWeasel said: at least the owner will have the memories of it. In your shoes, I would probably take the car to a third party for a body/dimensional tolerance check after the repair... just to be sure.

Then again, I am just probably being my old paranoid self once again

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 12-17-2007, 09:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

So that is not considered salvage ? It looks quite bad, and I wonder if the rear left wheel is bent ? Sorry to hear about the news.

Best of luck.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:31 PM
Think green.

So sorry to hear of your accident. It really spooks me because last week someone in a van crossed the middle line and was about to hit me head on, when I leaned on the (little squeaky) horn, and she got back in her own darn lane. I wish people would pay attention to their driving instead of their dang cell phones.
Good luck with your repair, and I hope you and your passenger will be well.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:44 PM
Energy Independence

Ditto (Sorry about the accident).
Get thee (and your friend) well!

Old 12-18-2007, 06:31 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hey. I'm sorry to hear that. Good luck with everything.

Quick Reply: Baby got broke

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands