HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Back Up Camera w/stock Navigation System?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 09:40 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Back Up Camera w/stock Navigation System?

Now that I have the BlueTooth system installed the only other thing I would really like is a back up camera. Has anybody modified the stock navigation system on the '06 Civic yet with a back up camera? I know there are 3rd party interfaces that normally allow you to send a video signal to the unit as my friend modified his '05 Nissan Titan with a camera setup.

Old 08-14-2006, 09:49 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Back Up Camera w/stock Navigation System?

How did you get bluetooth to work? Is there an upgrade option? Does it work with the navigation screen etc.

Thanks

Old 08-14-2006, 09:56 AM
Active Enthusiast

www.parrotkits.com You can buy both the LS3200 and the QC-Hon2 adapter from these guys for a reasonable price. Use the pdf's for installation of the music link or the CD changer to remove the dash pieces to install. It does not interface through the navigation system though as it was not made for BT. The Navigation system does fully mute when a call comes in and you answer by hitting the green button on the LS3200. It also does full voice dialing with a compatible BT phone.

Old 08-14-2006, 12:27 PM
Active Enthusiast

I think rather than a back up camera I'd rather have one so that I can see what I'm nudging up to up front. It seems like it's impossible to judge. Curb feelers anyone?

Old 08-14-2006, 12:50 PM
Enthusiast

Cherokee,

Thanks for your tips on the BlueTooth and Parrot. I am ordering both to do the install myself. Would also like to put the back-up camera on the stock navi but haven't been successful in finding out how. Please post if you get anywhere with it.

I'm gathering the parts to add a Gentex homelink auto-dimming mirror to our HCHII. The Honda upgrade does not include the homelink and the wife doesn't like fumbling for remotes on the visors. I'll post pics of the install when it's done.

Matt

Originally Posted by cherokee180c
Now that I have the BlueTooth system installed the only other thing I would really like is a back up camera. Has anybody modified the stock navigation system on the '06 Civic yet with a back up camera? I know there are 3rd party interfaces that normally allow you to send a video signal to the unit as my friend modified his '05 Nissan Titan with a camera setup.

Old 08-14-2006, 01:34 PM
Proud owner HCHII
Default "Pieces of Eight, Pieces of Eight"................

Should the parrot sit on the headrest or the drivers shoulder? Nothing in the manual about it. Might an open moonroof help?

Old 08-15-2006, 11:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

I was in circuit city the other day and saw a mirror that had a 4.5x4.5 inch display on it on the left side of the rear view mirror that connected to two (front and rear) cameras that can be toggled anytime. Its purpose was a back-up and front-view parking display. The mirror itself was only about $350 or so. However, it was a rather large mirror. Definately designed for an SUV but not much larger than the day/night auto dimming mirror my Honda dealer installed for me. If you're familiar with the dimming mirror honda installs, than the mirror with display that I"m speaking of is only slightly (1/4" larger on all border but is completely mirror instead of border material like the Honda one.

I thought about getting it but I don't know. I'm already having a 4 tiny cameras installed that each record driving and if theirs an impact, will satellite the video feeds to another company 20 seconds before and after the impact. If I get the mirror, I might be able to wire it in to the security cameras but parking cams are under the bumpers (or on the bumpers) and not designed for driving purposes)... we'll see.

Thanks,
Shawn

Old 08-16-2006, 11:51 AM
Active Enthusiast

Sixpack,

How much was that Gentex Homelink mirror? The lack of any homelink system was another one of the surprises I got when I got the car home and started driving it. I went out to the car to program it, and found out it had none! That and the fact that it did not have auto on headlights were a shock! I have had both features on all my cars for the last 8 years now.

I installed the LS3200 on the left side of the steering wheel mounted from the upper pocket. The unit blocks only the dimmer up or down buttons, which is not that big of a deal as I almost never use those buttons. You can easily remove that pocket from behind the panel as it is attached with three phillips head screws and then drill the hole in the upper back part of the pocket as it can not be seen in that location. You need to do this to thread the large connector from the display unit to the blue mute box.

Last edited by cherokee180c; 08-16-2006 at 11:55 AM.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:32 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cherokee180c
Sixpack,

How much was that Gentex Homelink mirror? The lack of any homelink system was another one of the surprises I got when I got the car home and started driving it. I went out to the car to program it, and found out it had none! That and the fact that it did not have auto on headlights were a shock! I have had both features on all my cars for the last 8 years now.
I too was disappointed with the lack of Homelink, Auto Headlights, Auto All Doors Unlock, lack of back up camera with Navi, no miles to empty readout, etc., etc. but I still really like the HCHII.

As for the Gentek or Gentex (?) mirror, I used the eBay route and purchasewd from Dave57. It needs a cam lock to mount (not a wedge) and there are detailed instructions on how to run the wire to not interfere with the A pillar side air bag / curtain. The costs vary slightly, like with a compass or without, I spent $150.00 without since I have the Navi so I got just the Day / Night with Homelink. I am waiting on the Parrot Harness to arrive before I do the install (to take everything apart only once).

Take care,

Matt