HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Beware! Do not leave your lights on, will need tow.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 06:15 PM
Enthusiast
Default Beware! Do not leave your lights on, will need tow.

I left my headlights on yesterday morning and after work found the car electrically dead. No problem I think just call up AAA, get a jump and head home. ( A common enough event here in Minnesota). Alas the car would not turn over despite all apparant funtions operational while on boost including headlights. Long tow to nearest dealer and they tell me today that when the HCH 2 battery goes dead the key immobilizer system loses it's memory and they had to reprogram all my keys and now all is well.

What a stupid system! Bad enough not to have auto off for the lights but worse to be dealer dependent. Can you imagine a trip to the backcountry of any remote state and forgetting the lights and then needing a tow perhaps hundreds of miles to a Honda Dealer.

Bad Honda!

Old 10-19-2006, 07:04 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Beware! Do not leave your lights on, will need tow.

Who paid for your tow? Is that covered under the regular and/or extended warranty?

Old 10-19-2006, 07:21 PM
Energy Independence

Is a warning about this anywhere in our manuals?
I've yet to finish mine .

This does seem to be a really poor solution.

Old 10-19-2006, 07:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

"Info is greatly apperciated".

This should be pinned by the mods here to the top of this column, for all to read. Not a good note for the selling side of these cars. Quite the simple & serious tech. "D 'Oh", error on Honda's part !!!! Anyone think '07 will be different. Hope so !!!!

"Scary & Thankx".

John

p.s. Post-it note reminder/required to the gauge panel, lol.

Old 10-19-2006, 08:36 PM
Active Enthusiast

When you exited the vehicle didn't you hear the warning tone that indicates your lights are on? Or is that feature not on the U.S. model? (That's assuming that you own the U.S. model)

Old 10-19-2006, 08:37 PM
Active Enthusiast

makes no sense that you would have to reprogram keys. They are not hooked to car. I could see something in car needing a reprogram, but not keys.

Old 10-20-2006, 09:09 AM
Enthusiast
Talking Re: Beware! Do not leave your lights on, will need tow.

I had a different experience than yours. I left the lights on all day. I was on the phone when I reached my client's location and didn't notice the "lights on" warning tone when I pulled the key out. After a long day, I thought it was strange that my key fob would not unlock the car. I opened the driver's door with the key and tried to start it. At that point, I noticed that the lights were left on. So I called AAA and they hooked up the jumper cables to the battery and the car started. I note that the battery level for the electric motor was not depleted at all. I don't remember if I had to enter the security code for the car radio but I think I did as I had about a 2 hour drive home so it would have been unbearable. The battery was fully charged when I got home. Both key fobs worked as normal the next day as it is usually my wife's car. We have a 2006 HCHII.

Old 10-20-2006, 10:50 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Wait a minute. What the heck are you folks talking about?

Do you mean to say that your vehicles do not have the usual warning chime that goes on when you exit the vehicle when the lights are on???

If that is true then that sucks.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 10-20-2006, 11:31 AM
Enthusiast

You didn't read my post. I said I didn't notice the chime because I was on the phone.

Old 10-20-2006, 11:40 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by msantos
Wait a minute. What the heck are you folks talking about?

Do you mean to say that your vehicles do not have the usual warning chime that goes on when you exit the vehicle when the lights are on???

If that is true then that sucks.

Cheers;

MSantos
Pretty hard to miss the bong, bong, bong, bong, bong, even if you're on the phone. I think that the car adequately warns and any anything else could be chalked up to driver error. At any rate thanks for letting us know how bad it can get

Quick Reply: Beware! Do not leave your lights on, will need tow.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands