HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Blow Away by All the Technology

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 07:11 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Blow Away by All the Technology

Originally Posted by msantos
Jean;

Blocking the grille for long or short trips should help the HCH-II keep its temperature. In very cold days the engine temperature does not even get to 90C (the ideal temp) even with the grille blocked. So you can imagine, how nasty the FE hit is going to be with it unblocked.

Now, when the ambient temps rise above freezing then it is time to start removing the block - one row at a time. When the engine heats up too much (above 90C) the radiator fans will start automatically. If they stay on for too long, then it is time to remove the remaining grille block and let the engine breathe as needed.

Cheers;

MSantos

Since the temp gauge on the HCH-II is "merely decorative and utterly useless", it looks like I need a Scanguage to properly know when to start removing rows of the grille block. This brings up another question. Can anyone envision a dealership refusing to honor your warranty to repair an engine? I could just imagine a service advisor stating that the grille block you have on the car over-stress the engine and caused the problem (you couldn't prove that you properly removed the block when the temperature rose). Therefore the warranty is void. Is there any logic to this?

Old 04-10-2008, 05:48 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by dpayne
I could just imagine a service advisor stating that the grille block you have on the car over-stress the engine and caused the problem (you couldn't prove that you properly removed the block when the temperature rose). Therefore the warranty is void. Is there any logic to this?
That's good logic, alright !!!

However, if the engine or any of its parts suffered a thermal breakdown then you/me/anyone would deserve to have the warranty void. Why?

Because we were roasting the vehicle outside its specifications. For instance, using the grille blocking in a perfectly warm day and neglecting to monitor the temperatures accordingly is a sure recipe for disaster. That is pretty obvious, is it not?

That is WHY I always recommend that if you really want to do things right, you buy the scangauge and use it to monitor the temperatures with accuracy you need to stay safe. At the very least step out of the car and listen to the radiator fan. If it is on then just unblock the grille. Period.

In any case, grille blocking provides awesome results especially for those of us who dwell in sub-freezing climates for many months... and the "shops" in my area accept the practice as a sensible thing to do. What is not sensible is to keep it on when the weather warms up.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 04-11-2008, 07:00 AM
Enthusiast
Smile Re: Blow Away by All the Technology

Originally Posted by msantos
That's good logic, alright !!!

That is WHY I always recommend that if you really want to do things right, you buy the scangauge and use it to monitor the temperatures with accuracy you need to stay safe. At the very least step out of the car and listen to the radiator fan. If it is on then just unblock the grille. Period.

Cheers;

MSantos

Sounds good. I will have to remember to step out of the car often and listen for the radiator fan as I take a long trip some fall day where the morning temperature starts around 20F and ends around 60F.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:36 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

MSantos: Just curious about this. I'm assuming BCM is battery control module. Do we have this in our civics, or is it a prius term? I always get confused with all the acronyms but I know we have an IPU, or intelligent Power Unit(?). Is that what you mean by BCM or is it something different?

Old 04-11-2008, 09:48 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

BCM is actually a Honda named component in their hybrid architecture. Yes, it stands for Battery Control Module.

In the most basic of interpretations, the Prius and HCH-II hybrid systems are mirrored by the same basic architectural hybrid components.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 04-14-2008, 04:38 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Thanks MSantos. Do you know what the BCM does and what the IPU does? Or does the IPU refer to the entire battery system?

Old 04-14-2008, 06:42 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Sure:

IPU - Stands for Intelligent Power Unit.

What it is:
It is the entire enclosure that contains the entire IMA logic, storage and power control system. Essentially the re-enforced chassis sitting behind the rear seat that houses the BCM, MCM, DC Converter, battery pack, and cooling system.

BCM: Battery Control Module.

What it is and what it does:

It is a module governed by software and specially designed logic and sensors that monitors and manages the state and charge and health of the battery pack at the battery module level. The BCM also works cooperatively with other modules (DC-DC, MCM and IPU fan) to either provide electricity, acquire charge or "throttle" the IPU active cooling.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 04-15-2008, 05:39 AM
Active Enthusiast

recently aquired UMPC or Ultra-Mobile PC and installed PCMScan version 2
since i'm on civic, i sumilated the dash after our ride
plus a few more version in the pipeline, now i like to get all the icon into my screen
and later might do away with the stock dial/meters

here's a image of my micro pc mounted on my car with my previous version 1 sw

first attempt on the software get me these looks
Name:  SW_PCMscanFC.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  65.6 KB

once master the basci skill of programmin the sw, sumilated our dial
Name:  SW_HCHPCMv2_B.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  35.0 KB

might change them to CvicType R look
Name:  SW_HCHPCMv2_R.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  43.5 KB

ultimately i might incorparaetd them as below

Last edited by bengteck; 04-15-2008 at 05:44 AM.