HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

"Brake System" warning light

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 06:35 PM
Happy Camper Enthusiast
Default Re: "Brake System" warning light

Originally Posted by livvie
civic has 4 channel abs.

It makes sense to me that if the system can't figure out why one wheel remains locked even though the system is pulsating that brake (corner) that the system goes into fail safe mode. Otherwise, why should the light ever go on?
Maybe I'm unclear on what's happening, livvie, or maybe we're talking two different lights? The ABS light comes on whenever the system is activated to help alert drivers of a loss of traction. It's a malfunction indicator only when it lights while the brakes *aren't* applied.

It sounds to me like you're describing: hit the brakes when one wheel lacks traction, it locks, the ABS activates, the light comes on to indicate the system is engaged (and will hang on for a moment even if you let off the brakes), the wheel unlocks, the car doesn't wreck, life is good. Maybe I'm still missing something in your description, though.

Thanks for the heads-up on the 4-channel. Good to know.
Cheers --
doug

Old 06-05-2007, 08:23 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: "Brake System" warning light

Originally Posted by DougD
Maybe I'm unclear on what's happening, livvie, or maybe we're talking two different lights? The ABS light comes on whenever the system is activated to help alert drivers of a loss of traction. It's a malfunction indicator only when it lights while the brakes *aren't* applied.

It sounds to me like you're describing: hit the brakes when one wheel lacks traction, it locks, the ABS activates, the light comes on to indicate the system is engaged (and will hang on for a moment even if you let off the brakes), the wheel unlocks, the car doesn't wreck, life is good. Maybe I'm still missing something in your description, though.

Thanks for the heads-up on the 4-channel. Good to know.
Cheers --
doug
Ok... let me be a little clearer.

I'm talking about the ABS light. This light only comes on when the system detects an error. It remains on, it does not flash. When this light is on the system is telling you that the ABS system is OFF. You are now in a fail safe mode (regular brakes).

The lights that you are describing have to do with traction control. There is your standard traction control and then there is your more sophisticated (as found on my MINI S) sytem known as dynamic stability control which works in conjuction with TC. In both cases, the light comes on only when the system engages (so you will see it flash). I am not talking about this light. In most car you can disable TC or DSC via a toggle button.

So, you can fool the ABS system by having one wheel lock up even though the ABS system is pulsating that wheel. In which case you can get the light to go off. It's hard to do actually. To reset it, you restart your car. If the light keeps coming up, you have a problem that needs to be fixed.