HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Burnt Clutch Smell After Climbing Very Steep Hills

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 06:37 AM
Enthusiast
Default Burnt Clutch Smell After Climbing Very Steep Hills

I've owned my 07 HCH II since new (4+ years, 65K miles). We have a few 10%+ grade hills in SF Bay Area where we live. Ever since I bought it, I notice after 1+ mile climb up one of those grades, there's a very, very strong burnt clutch smell. Same smell that you've experienced if you ever passed an 18-wheeler on a downgrade with smokin' brakes.

I figure it must be coming from the CVT, but not sure. I only travel up such grades 5-6 times per year, so, so far, I've experienced no other symptoms from the CVT. As I say, it's happened since day 1.

Anyone else experienced this? Anyone know what's going on? I have 3+ more years on my extended warranty, so if some damage is occuring, I have a lot of time to figure out what it is and get it repaired.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:35 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Burnt Clutch Smell After Climbing Very Steep Hills

I think this is normal. I have a 06 HCH II and drive up a very steep 1/2 mile incline every day, and I still smell a mild burnt smell after parking at the top. It was much stronger when the car was new. But also have an 01 accord V6 that gives off the same smell after driving up the hill (and has done so for 11 years, but still runs perfectly as does the HCH with really zero failures of anything on either car). Not sure what causes this, but the engine/exhaust is certainly running hotter and maybe offgassing a bit of stuff from its surfaces.