HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Can the dash be taken apart?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 02:06 PM
Enthusiast
Default Can the dash be taken apart?

I know it can, but how in-depth is it. My buttons to the left of the steering wheel have come loose and I would like to fix them instead of heading to the dealer...

Any idea? I'll try to take a picture this week.

Thanks!

Old 11-10-2007, 05:10 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Can the dash be taken apart?

Mine are a tiny bit loose too. I'm going to go check to see if I can figure it out right now. I'll update you in a little.

Old 11-10-2007, 06:12 PM

UPDATE:

Okay. I just did it and it took me 16 minutes to fix. Here's a little tutorial. It is VERY simple and only involves removing 3 screws.

1. Under the steering wheel, there is a black plastic panel. To remove this, turn the **** in the center 90 degrees (You can only turn it one way). After that has been turned, the panel is still being held in by two clips, so you need to just pull down on it a little and it will come off.

2. Once you remove that, two silver screws will be exposed. They are holding down the plastic (in my case ivory) that is between the steering wheel and the black panel you just removed. Unscrew each screw and then remove the lower panel. (There are actually two smaller, but you only need to remove the lower one).
The screw on the left side (facing towards the front of the car):

The screw on the right side (facing towards the front of the car):
Sorry, but the screw can't be seen from that angle (d'oh). I circled where it is, behind that little piece of plastic.

3. Now that that panel has been removed, the third screw is exposed. This screw (black) is just under the display buttons. After removing that screw, the entire grey panel, from the left side of the car, over the steering-wheel and MPH display, all the way to the radio can be taken off. It is a little difficult, because of the turn signal and windshield wiper controls. The panel is only held in by that one screw and a few clamps. After the clamps come loose, you will need to disconnect the wire going from the computer to the display control buttons, because the panel actually contains the buttons.
The screw under the display buttons:

4. Flip the panel over and screw the two screws that hold the buttons tighter. For me, the left one was pretty tight, but the right one still had a few rotations.
The screws to be tightened on the reverse side of the grey panel:

5. To put it back together, just do all of this in reverse.

I hope this helped and this is what you were trying to do!

Let me know if anything needs to be clarified.

Old 11-11-2007, 03:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

Wow, you rule, thanks.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:27 PM
Enthusiast

Dang! that's great! I took it in for an oil change today and told them about it. Turns out the peice was broken and it has to be ordered.

That tutorial was AWESOME. I may use it to mount my XM player. Running the wire isn't going to be fun.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:29 AM

QC at it again. He's GH's Robin Hood, steals from the dealership and gives to the people!