HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

CVT "S" Mode Inproves Regen and AC Performance

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 12:36 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: CVT "S" Mode Inproves Regen and AC Performance

Folks,

It's always nice to learn something new, but the exclusive use (and over-use) of jargon and abbreviations obscure the discussion and do not help those of us outside the initiated "inner circle." I'm an intelligent college graduate, and all of these abbreviations and jargon terms make it harder for me to understand what you all are talking about: FE, IMA architecture, regen, DWL, ICE power, etc.)

As a relatively new (and inexperienced) HCH2 owner and a professional writer, I have a request: please "make it easy on your reader" and spell out/define the complete terms you use before abbreviating them. (Linda has the owner's manual in southern California, 400 miles away, so that resource is not available to me.) It is far more inclusive to abbreviate terms like "fuel efficiency" (FE) after using them once in their more comprehensible full length. (That's why it is considered "proper English"" to always "explain" abbreviations in context.)

Thanks for opening up the discussion by defining your terms.

Yours for claerity,

Jon

Old 06-23-2008, 04:15 PM
Active Enthusiast

FE: Fuel Efficiency
IMA: Integrated Motor Assist (honda's hybrid technology)
Regen: Regenerating energy back to battery pack
ICE: Internal Combustion Engine
DWL: Drive with Load has to do with climbing inclines and allowing the speed to drop (or as MSantos likes to say, "bleed" ), you maintain Load or Fuel Efficiency on the engine as you climb the incline.

There really should be a glossary on this site for such acronyms and terms, but there is on cleanmpg.com and that's how I learned them. Check it out too. There's lot to learn over there as well.

Any others you're not clear about, please don't hesitate to ask.

However, asking people that have discussed this car using the acronyms and the terms associated with it for a couple of years now, to change how they discuss it, in my opinion, is not exactly fair either.

Old 06-23-2008, 06:17 PM
HypoFueler

Originally Posted by goldcoastjon
Folks,

It's always nice to learn something new, but the exclusive use (and over-use) of jargon and abbreviations obscure the discussion and do not help those of us outside the initiated "inner circle." I'm an intelligent college graduate, and all of these abbreviations and jargon terms make it harder for me to understand what you all are talking about: FE, IMA architecture, regen, DWL, ICE power, etc.)

As a relatively new (and inexperienced) HCH2 owner and a professional writer, I have a request: please "make it easy on your reader" and spell out/define the complete terms you use before abbreviating them. (Linda has the owner's manual in southern California, 400 miles away, so that resource is not available to me.) It is far more inclusive to abbreviate terms like "fuel efficiency" (FE) after using them once in their more comprehensible full length. (That's why it is considered "proper English"" to always "explain" abbreviations in context.)

Yours for claerity,

Jon
Hi - what does Jon stand for

Old 06-23-2008, 06:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

Folks,

Yours for claerity,

Jon
You misspelled "clarity", or was it "clearity"?

Professional writer, indeed. I guess you rely on your editor a bit too much?

Old 06-23-2008, 07:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

This is one of those polarizing topics (obviously) that is not going to be clearly answered, no matter how strongly someone words their anecdotal evidence.

Until someone does controlled experiments, accelerating at the SAME rate, with S or D, there is no way to know what is more efficient. And still, it would need to be repeated at varying rates to know if one is better at a lower rate than the other, and if there is a crossover at some point.

This leaves out all the rest of the drive, which is another huge variable. Everyone's commute is different. I have rolling hills, and get about 48-50 mpg avg. If I had flat terrain, I could do much better.

In the end, instead of comparing driving styles with our same cars, we should be comparing what our cars are doing versus others when driven in the same way. Trying to prove "S" is better than "D" or other issues is an exercise in futility with the infinite variables in play.

Old 06-24-2008, 05:33 AM
Active Enthusiast

Hi. I been a lurker for 1.5 years and joined in a while ago, so I am not a high poster like many here.
I read almost every post and I always learn something new whenever msantos posts his stuff. I am sure I am not the first one asking this, but what is msantos afraid of by not saying who he is... I mean, who he really is and what he does.
I know what he does for work and he knowns his stuff better than anyone here, but I don't want to embarrass him or anything by posting. I am sure the lazier ones like me in this site would believe him right off the bat if -- no questions asked.

:By the way, this stuff about hypermilin is not for me yet, its way above my head and I am still trying to get my brain wrapped around the 101 stuff.

ks

Old 06-24-2008, 07:31 AM
Active Enthusiast

KevinsTop,
Is it really anyone's business what or who he works for or with? Forums aren't the best place to reveal too much about your personal/business life. In addition, many people, myself included, have signed legal documents for the corporations that we work for or with, stating that we will not represent the corporation in any matters outside of the workplace. So whether it be for personal or business reasons that a person doesn't want to disclose what they do for a living, that is their decision and I support & understand them. I am just glad that some of those people that have knowledge that I am looking for in different forums are willing to post at all.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:45 AM
Enthusiast

Folks,

Yours for claerity,

Jon
Jon,
I agree having a glossary would be helpful but these terms are used so frequently I believe it is appropriate to leave them abbreviated instead of spelling them out over and over again. "Proper English" doesn't always spell out abbreviations; Why should this forum? For example, if I read a formal (i.e., proper English) business letter that talked about meeting Doctor Jones at five o'clock in the afternoon, I bet you I would see his name as Dr. Jones without any reference to what Dr. meant. Also I am certain I would see the meeting time as 5 PM without PM being defined in the letter. It seems to me there is a point in language where it is more efficient to not abbreviate words that have a high probability of being understood expressed just as an abbreviation. As you know by the title, this is a specialized forum. All we have done is expand our assumptions due to being specialized. I do agree though that having a glossary somewhere in the forum would be helpful but the solution would not be to spell out all acronyms in every post. PS. Sorry about not defining i.e.. PPS sorry about not defining PS..... you get the idea.....

Old 06-24-2008, 10:16 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HemiSync
KevinsTop,
Is it really anyone's business what or who he works for or with? Forums aren't the best place to reveal too much about your personal/business life. In addition, many people, myself included, have signed legal documents for the corporations that we work for or with, stating that we will not represent the corporation in any matters outside of the workplace. So whether it be for personal or business reasons that a person doesn't want to disclose what they do for a living, that is their decision and I support & understand them. I am just glad that some of those people that have knowledge that I am looking for in different forums are willing to post at all.
I dunno. I can see your point but how are people to tell who knows his stuff or not??
I rather not have to read thru 100+ posts to figure who's the expert and whos not. I just figured if people knew about msantos maybe there would be less debating and more useful stuff for me to read.

:ks

Old 06-24-2008, 01:57 PM
HypoFueler

MSantos knows his stuff. People will debate him and others anyhow.

Quick Reply: CVT "S" Mode Inproves Regen and AC Performance

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands