HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

cvt transmission noise when in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 07:39 PM
Enthusiast
Question cvt transmission noise when in reverse

Hi all, I have a 2007 HCH2 with 15,000 kms on it and today I heard (noticed) a whining type sound in reverse mode when backing or sitting still?? is this normal or do i have an issue arising, Thanks for all the info on this site very helpful.
Regards, Dave

Old 08-02-2007, 08:22 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: cvt transmission noise when in reverse

I just listened carefully to my 2007. The sound it makes in reverse is different than the sound in all other gears. It is only slightly louder and is not extremely high and whiny, but it is a little bit. If you are noticing a loud, high noise, I would get it checked out. It's probably nothing, but I've only had this car for less time than you so I would get this confirmed.

Old 08-03-2007, 05:43 AM
Eco Accelerometrist
Default Re: cvt transmission noise when in reverse

If the whining occurs only when in reverse, whether reversing or idling then it could be related to the "Reverse clutch".

I would suggest you call your dealership and tell them about it. Hopefully they'll recommend that you visit the dealership for a quick check-up. Unless they tell you otherwise, I would not be very concerned for now.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 08-03-2007, 07:24 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for your responses to my question! Today the "noise" was very slight, Possibly a normal sound. I will talk with dealer and monitor the situation.
Regards Dave

Old 08-04-2007, 06:17 PM
Enthusiast

I have an 06 HCH. When I purchased the car from the dealer brand new the salesman told me that when backing up in reverse the transmission does make a whining noise. He told me that the HCH I's made a much louder noise than the HCH II's. Sounds like you are hearing the usual noise in reverse, but always error on the side of caution and take it by the dealer and let them have a once over on it.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:12 AM
Enthusiast

Greetings all, I went to dealer about noise and they want me to book car in for check over, However since the time I heard the overly noticeable whine,the noise that has not returned! To the level it was at when noticed originally. I feel the slight noise in reverse now is normal for these units! I will let dealer check car over thou and post any findings.
Regards
Dave