HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Do you roll thru? Be honest.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 12:38 PM
F**k ExxonMobil
Default Do you roll thru? Be honest.

Ever since I bought my hybrid, I tend to roll through stop signs whenever possible/safe so as not to lose momentum. Am I the only one?

Last edited by 06hch2; 10-21-2006 at 12:42 PM.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:43 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Do you roll thru? Be honest.

This morning I rolled through a stop at about 15MPH... country road with nobody in sight, 3 way stop...

I do find myself rolling through stops much much more now that I have a hybrid... and driving at or under the limit instead of over...

Old 10-21-2006, 12:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

No. Driving safely and legally is still way more important to me than .3 mpg in fuel economy.

Old 10-21-2006, 02:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have to admit I don't stop as cleanly as I used to, but it's no more than 2-3 MPH through the stop sign....

Eric

Old 10-21-2006, 03:21 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Yes and no.

I don't use my brakes usually, but by the time I get to a stop sign I have coasted down to a speed that is slower than the speed at which "normal" drivers slow down to at stop signs.

So I do roll, but I am safe.
But I must be at 2 or 3 MPH without using brakes.
And I think I get much more than 0.3 MPG by doing these things and other things. [apparently 14.1 MPG]

Old 10-21-2006, 03:25 PM
Enthusiast

GUILTY!

Old 10-21-2006, 03:28 PM

I always stop. In my commutes I don't have too many stop signs where I can see if traffic is coming. Most stop signs are at streets where there are trees or parked cars blocking the view. If I were out in the open at night where I could clearly see if anyone was coming I might.

One thing to consider is the cost of getting in an accident. Most deductables are around $500 for me that is just about 1 years worth of gas. Which would make my effective mpg halved should I get into an accident.

Old 10-21-2006, 03:54 PM
Active Enthusiast

Just to clarify... when I roll through a stop sign it's not to save the fuel used accelerating back up to speed. It's just that I'm trying to avoid the auto stop followed by an immediate re-start.

And, as a father of (soon to be) 5, I feel comforable in that fact that I WILL NOT pose undue risk to myself and/or others in the car at any time...

Old 10-21-2006, 04:03 PM
Enthusiast

Yup--roll right on through (at 2-3 mph) whenever no one else is around. I always come to a complete stop if anyone else is at the stop sign. I used to stop even when no one was looking before getting the only car I have ever actually loved. I'm trying to avoid the auto stop followed by an immediate re-start, just like EZ.

Old 10-21-2006, 06:43 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

WHY do you roll-thru a Stop sign when your car goes into Auto-Stop below 7 mph? When I approach a Stop sign then I usually lift off the throttle and get the car into EV mode, or just apply the brakes which accomplishes the same thing and charges the battery, but at anything below 7 mph the engine shuts off so there is no reason to roll-thru the Stop sign. If I coast for say 100 feet for 20 Stop signs a day I think I would increase the overall FE for the day by 0.5 or 1.0 mpg. If I start up and waste fuel then I doubt it would waste 0.5 or 1.0 mpg in the FE for the day.

And to echo the post by JordanCS (my car's apparent twin in life) that a $65 moving violation ticket would pay for a TON of starts from a dead stop even if it wastes 0.3 mpg in economy. For all of you who roll-thru a Stop are you making up for the money you save by Super-Sizing your meals or not using coupons? <smirk>

Quick Reply: Do you roll thru? Be honest.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands