HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

First HCH II Service at Dealer - Air Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 02:41 PM
Enthusiast
Default First HCH II Service at Dealer - Air Pressure

I finally went in for my first service at the local Honda dealer - Oil Change and Tire Rotation. The code popped on my display at about 7550 miles - 15% oil life and tire rotation required. I delivered the car at 8200 miles as I was driving north from Southern California when 15 and then 10% oil life appeared.

Anyway, my experience at the dealer was both good and newsworthy I believe. In rotating the tires, the dealer reset the air pressure in all tires to 32 psi. Checked them after the service. I recently set them at 40 psi. So something for all to be aware of when they take their HCH II in for service. Anyone else have that experience?

Old 04-24-2008, 05:52 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: First HCH II Service at Dealer - Air Pressure

Yes, once. The second time I brought it in, I told them not to adjust the air in my tires and they didn't. One less thing they have to do.

Old 04-27-2008, 12:56 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

They didn't adjust the air in my tires. It could have been because they assumed the higher pressure was due to the tires being warm, but knowing my dealer they were probably just lazy.

Old 04-27-2008, 05:29 PM
Enthusiast

just fyi honda requests that we set the tire pressures in every vehicle at every service to whatever the door jamb sticker sugguests. and if we install honda factory option wheels it actually comes with a replacement sticker with the new tire size and recommended pressure

Old 04-29-2008, 01:25 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pBen
I finally went in for my first service at the local Honda dealer - Oil Change and Tire Rotation. The code popped on my display at about 7550 miles - 15% oil life and tire rotation required. I delivered the car at 8200 miles as I was driving north from Southern California when 15 and then 10% oil life appeared.

Anyway, my experience at the dealer was both good and newsworthy I believe. In rotating the tires, the dealer reset the air pressure in all tires to 32 psi. Checked them after the service. I recently set them at 40 psi. So something for all to be aware of when they take their HCH II in for service. Anyone else have that experience?

Same exact thing happened to me. I set the pressure in my tires at 40 psi also. When the service was finished, the guy told me they set the pressure to 32. I didn't think to tell him not to change it, and I can't fault the guy for doing his job. I just filled them back up when I got home.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:08 PM
Enthusiast
Angry Re: First HCH II Service at Dealer - Air Pressure

I've had a slightly different experience not involving the dealer. I followed the excellent posts here and went to 40 PSI on all four tires on a brand new 2008 HCH. A month later, my TPMS indicated that I had low air pressure. The right front tire was only at 28!

I filled it back up and checked again - all at 40. Great. Two weeks later, TPMS comes on again, and this time it's the left front tire at 28 psi. What gives?

This isn't winter and I don't drive aggressively. My 5k miles lifetime MPG average is 49. Now, a couple PSI maybe, but a 12 PSI drop in both front tires, within weeks of each other ( verified with top quality mechanical tire pressure gauge ) , that can't be normal.

Old 06-28-2008, 04:06 AM
Active Enthusiast

You may have a slow leak. I would get it checked out very soon.

I believe it's dangerous to drive around with a slow leak, especially at higher speeds.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:21 PM
Enthusiast

Jess - You were right, at least insofar as left front tire is concerned. Dealer could not find anything and sent me on my way. After less than five minutes' driving time, TPMS comes on again. Turned around and headed back to dealer. They found a "tiny pinhole" and fixed it.

Now, I am getting paranoid about the HCH II stock OEM's and overinflation. While I've only gone up to 40 PSI, this can't be a coincidence that I've had problems with two of the OEM's in the first 4k miles, when I've had maybe two flats in the previous 200,000K with my other, non hybrid cars with regular inflation.

Old 06-28-2008, 04:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have around 26k on mine and I keep them at 44 psi. The only issue I've had his getting a nail in one of them on the way to have the oil changed. Haven't had a problem since.