HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Fuel gauge display not accurate?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 01:11 PM
iEnthusiast
Default Fuel gauge display not accurate?

Hey everyone,

I noticed on my HCHII that the fuel gauge display might be a little off... Just the other day the display was definitely less than half full and when I went to the pump it only took 5.5 gallons. Is this normal? After I realized this I did some quick math and I'm getting about 40mpg and with a 12 gallon tank that should AT LEAST be 400 miles. But from looking at my fuel gauge and the rate is goes down I would probably get 300-350 max.

Anyone notice this? Am I crazy?? Just a little annoying because my last car also didnt have a very accurate fuel gauge and I find it pretty annoying.

Thanks guys!

Old 05-15-2008, 03:51 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Fuel gauge display not accurate?

From what I have read on here and experienced on my own HCHII this is completely normal. I fill up on my last bar or right when it goes to no bars and the most I can put in is 10.6 gallons. So when you filled up when there was less than half the bars showing and put in 5.5 gallons that would seem about right. There is a significant reserve of close to two gallons after the last bar goes away on the HCHIIs.

Old 05-15-2008, 04:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

I've never had a car that had an accurate gas guage. I'm not sure why you are estimating your mileage when your car has dedicated guages to do it for you i.e, Trip A and Trip B. Once you fill up you should calculate your real MPG by dividing the miles driven by the gallons the pump says you added. I wouldn't take stock in any estimate computed by dividing current miles by the estimated gallons you've used as indicated by the gas guage.

-dan

Old 05-16-2008, 03:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

reset your trip A or B whenever you fill up. Multiply the mpg that the display gets by 10 and that should be roughly the range I would recommend going. Like chasing said, there is close to 2 gals reserve.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:03 PM
Active Enthusiast

My HCH is really weird, if I fill up before the light comes on my mileage sucks. A couple times I topped it off when it only needed 3-5 gallons and my mileage has always suffered and is no where near what the trip mpg says it should be. When I wait til the light comes then it matches it to within .1 of a mpg. Makes no sense, but from now on I wait.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:53 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

for a little less than half full, 5.5 is correct. You should have about a 2 gallon reserve when you run out of blips.