HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Full nose mask affect on FE?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 03:46 PM
Active Enthusiast
Question Full nose mask affect on FE?

I will be driving 1200 miles in about two weeks, I'm thinking about ordering the full nose mask for my 2008 HCHII to protect it from flying rocks, etc while driving on the Interstate. What is the affect on FE, if any?

Other comments on the nose mask? TIA!!

Last edited by pagemap; 03-31-2008 at 07:48 PM.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:37 PM
Wish I new it all!
Default Re: Full nose mask affect on FE?

you could always get one of those paint on clear masks, but i don't know how well they work, but you probably wouldn't have the issue with the reduced FE. i guess the big question is, are you willing to pay a little more for gas if the FE is reduced, or do you want to have to pay to have your hood repainted because of rock chips? either way, you are taking a gamble on what you may end up paying money for, but ain't that life???

Old 03-31-2008, 07:38 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I doubt it would have a noticeable effect on FE. I was going to get one, but I read that you need to take it off and wash it, or dirt will get stuck under it and scratch your car. If you search around on 8thcivic.com you will be able to find some info on the nose masks. You may want to look into a 3M clear covering. I wish I got it on mine. I have a lot of nicks in mine. My neighbor has the 3M stuff and he loves it.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

I've heard about those 3M coverings, but what happens when that covering gets a large scratch? The covering will need to be replaced and I am sure it's not easy to remove. I've heard they also yellow with age.

Also, I just plan to use the mask for long road trips such as the one I'll be taking. I wouldn't be leaving it on permanently. A week at most.

Glad to hear that it won't have much of an effect on FE. Any other drivers that have the mask want to chime in? Thanks!

Old 03-31-2008, 11:20 PM
MEAN TO BE GREEN ACTIVIST

I started with the full nose bra on my '06 HCH. You can see my mileage in my signature. I have noticed a slight drop off - but my nose bra is ripped at the bottom center seam - so it sags down 3-4" . I'm sure it has some effect on the mpg! I don't think it will make a big difference for you.