HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Got my aftermarket wheels and snow tires yesterday.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 10:37 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Got my aftermarket wheels and snow tires yesterday.

195/65-15 Blizzak Revo 1 - $79 each

Sport Edition 15x6.5 rims - $69 each closeout

I was considering steel wheels with hubcaps, but the cost was near that of these rims and they were much, much heavier. These rims are just over 15lbs, which is only a pound increase per wheel.

Greenseal.org's website rated the Blizzak WS series as low rolling resistance, and the Revo are similar, so I am guessing they'll be fairly LRR as well.

The rims look nice, almost stock looking. After the first snow, I'll take a pic of them on the car.

Here's a pic from the Tirerack:

I will report back after some snow!

Old 09-28-2006, 10:38 AM
Default Re: Got my aftermarket wheels and snow tires yesterday.

Oh, and there is a $50 rebate on Blizzaks right now.

Old 09-29-2006, 10:01 AM
Enthusiast

Hey post a pix of your car....Would like to see how they look actually on the car.

Old 09-29-2006, 11:25 AM

I'd love too, but they wont be on the car until the first snow. Nov-Dec?

Maybe I should mount them to make sure they fit..

Old 09-29-2006, 12:14 PM
Enthusiast

From the look of those rims, it may be possible for ice to build up on the inside of the rims unevenly. In rain...no problem... but in freezing weather any slight imbalance may cause vibration. Just leaving it parked in slushy but cold weather will cause the slush to freeze more on the bottom of the rim. You will soon find out. I hope you have a heated place to park overnight.

Good luck.

Old 09-29-2006, 12:35 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Nice !

I sure hope, you do not have alot of sand and salt during your winter driving otherwise it's going to be heart breaking to see the state of your new rims after a couple of years.

For those of us who have no choice but to get steel rims:

A week ago, I had setup an appointment to get my winter weels installed for mid-October. The dealership offered me a set of Michelin X-Ice mounted on 06 Civic DX black steel rims with weel covers for an OK price - $833 (Canadian). The extra lug nuts 4 per weel (@ $3 each) add to the overall cost.

Overall, it was much cheaper (& better looking) than the third party quotes I got for GoodYears and Dunlop winter tires from FountainTire. Besides, I always loved the Michelins and I like a dressed winter rim set too.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 09-30-2006, 08:25 PM

Why would ice freeze to these more than any other wheel?

&

I almost got steel rims, but these were ridiculously cheap. Tirerack threw in the lugs, hub-centric rings, and a thin-walled socket for installation. Those guys are alright.

Old 10-01-2006, 06:27 AM
Active Enthusiast

Any reason you don't just get the snow tires on your existing rims? That's what I've always done...then I just store the tires until summer and have them swap again.

Old 10-01-2006, 08:30 AM
Enthusiast

We need !!!

email me and I can post if needed.

wrxsti03@gmail.com

Old 10-01-2006, 08:45 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by JordanCS
Any reason you don't just get the snow tires on your existing rims? That's what I've always done...then I just store the tires until summer and have them swap again.
For multiple reasons:

1- Driving in the snow and ice will damage the aluminum rims because they get pelleted by sand and smaller rocks. The added salt in that mix will then do a good number on the aluminum.
2- Removing the tires from the rims often will often damage the rims. It all depends on the shop that does the switch and the equipment they have - of course. Some may gouge the rims making them look very bad - especially around the outer edges.
3- It is easier for the DIY. If you have the summer and winter tires already mounted on their respective weels, is easier and faster to do the switch on one's driveway.

Cheers;

MSantos

Last edited by msantos; 10-01-2006 at 08:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Got my aftermarket wheels and snow tires yesterday.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands