HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Got my aftermarket wheels and snow tires yesterday.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 09:41 PM
Eco Accelerometrist
Default Re: Got my aftermarket wheels and snow tires yesterday.

I got the steel wheels as a complete package. I don't know what it would have cost for each of items individually. Overall, the whole thing cost me almost $1,000 CAN (with taxes) ... which was cheaper than what other good shops were offering for Goodyears and Dunlops (the only other two local brands available for our HCH-IIs).

One other thing that bothered me about having the wheels done outside the dealership is the quality and fit - with the exception of the tires - the entire setup is genuine Honda with a full warranty to go. All in all, I am happy.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 10-18-2006, 06:13 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Donald
msantos,
What did the dealer charge for the honda steel wheels? I just ordered some Sport Edition D5 wheels ($75 ea.) from Tire Rack. They are aluminum with a 2 yr. warranty on the finish and weigh 15.5 lbs. I have some Matercraft Glacier-Grip M & S tires to put on them. I'm going to try them just on the fronts. In the past, I did this with my Subarus with no real problems. If I don't like the "feel" on the road, I'll bite the bullet and get rims and tires to match. Let us know how your snows work.
Regards,
I'd seriously recommend against going with only two snow tires. It will completely change the handling dynamics of the car. It might get you out of a snow bank, but consider a medium-to-high speed sweeping turn with packed snow or ice. Your rear tires will give out way before your front and you could easily spin.

You'll have serious oversteer on snow and ice and understeer in dry conditions.

(P.S. Bigger font just for you! )

Old 10-18-2006, 10:27 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

I totally agree with noflash. It is a seriously bad & dangerous idea to tackle a winter tire change in sets of two - especially for non-awd vehicles.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 10-18-2006, 02:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

Beyond the typical recommendations for any front wheel drive vehicle and only 2 mounted snows (which it sounds like you have done in the past and are ok with the driving characteristics), there is an additional risk with the HCHII.

This thread details it. The OP had only one mismatched tire, but bottom line was it completely took everyone for a loop and caused CVT gear ratio (shifting?) issues...

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...h+tire+problem

Let us know either way, if you end up mounting just the 2 snows and have no problems after a couple hundred miles (IIRC, it typically takes 50-100 miles for the CVT issue to show up), or just end up mounting 4 snows...

Old 10-19-2006, 11:11 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Well, noflash, it is my turn to post my winter wheel update. I just placed an order for 4-195/65QR15 Bridgestone Blizzak REVO 1 tires ($79 each) mounted on 15x6 Sport Edition E2 wheels ($84 each). I also added the Road Hazard ($9.48 per tire) as I didn't add that on the previous set of tires I bought and had to buy two tires for nearly $200 so I've learned my lesson I suppose. Shipping was $71.12 so $761.04 for the order which should arrive on Monday with the tires mounted to the wheels. I will take photos when they arrive.

I bought the wheels that are more flat across the lug bolt pattern rather than the ones like noflash that have a concave center. This lets us compare and contrast I suppose. I also stuck with the default tire choice though my wife's VW Beetle will be getting the Blizzak LM-25 tires so I can compare/contrast for myself. Photos when everything arrives. We're getting snow (flurries) early next week but this is just a good time for me to get winter prep work started.

I also bought an Engine Block Heater from hondapartsdeals.com for $47.97 (less than the ~$65 that Dealers were quoting and they also had to order it). I also bought the Navigation DVD flip-down cover which I broke off in the first week of ownership -- it really should warn you better about flipping up the cover before closing the Nav screen -- lesson learned I suppose.

Old 10-20-2006, 07:21 AM

Sounds like good buys. I'm looking forward to trying out those Revos. Although, as my alter-ego, I thought you'd go for steel wheels with Dunlops!

Old 10-20-2006, 09:17 PM

Good point, Alter-Me, but we DO drive the same car so we've got to have *some *similarities. I also looked at the Steel wheels since they would be the winter beater set but the difference in price was so marginal that I got the Aluminum wheels. I might put the summer tires on the new wheels to undo some of the "spaceship" appearances that people claim the car has. I think it sets it apart but then again if driving 50 mph in a 65 mph zone with the Hybrid badge doesn't tell people to pass me then different wheels won't make a difference, eh? =)

Old 10-23-2006, 05:18 PM

Here ya go, noflash, as this will be real similar to your setup though my wheel is a lil' different in the wheel center area. It was time for me to rotate my tires anyway (4,700 miles since last tire rotation) so I thought I would just have the winter tires installed at the same time and save a step in 2 weeks. We got our first (mini) snow flurries today but I'm anticipating hitting the Milwaukee Gathering this weekend and they might have some freezing rain or snow - so it just made sense.

These are Sport Edition E2 wheels mounted with Bridgeston Blizzak 195/65/QR-15 winter tires (mounted and balanced) from TireRack.com. Including the Road Hazard and shipping it was $760. I ordered this Friday and it arrived today (2 business days or 3 days including Saturday).

Fortunately, it should be the same weather tomorrow as today and I will be able to compare my normal 22-mile commute and see what the drop is in FE. Today it was 21.4 miles at 51.6 mpg I believe at 41o F temp. I will add photos later as it was too dark to snap one of them after installation but I have close-ups available. Weights are from a bathroom scale but the two wheels from each set had the same weight.

32.8 lbs = Stock wheel + tire (after 12,650 miles)
35.8 lbs = Sport Edition E2 wheel + 195/65/QR-15 Bridgestone Blizzak REVO 1 tire

Last edited by Flash; 10-24-2006 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Added side-by-side comparison & wheel weights
Old 10-24-2006, 07:06 AM

Nice.

Can we please get a profile shot of the car?

Old 10-24-2006, 07:54 AM

Nag, nag, nag. Like I said, "I will add photos later as it was too dark to snap one of them after installation but I have close-ups available." Don't I even have time to get a decent night's sleep? Worse than my wife. =) I also have a straight profil shot if you want me to post that or email it to you directly.

Quick Reply: Got my aftermarket wheels and snow tires yesterday.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands