HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

HCH 2007, new battery discharging

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2020, 11:31 AM
Enthusiast
Default HCH 2007, new battery discharging

Hello everyone,

I have a secondhand 2007 HCH with around 108k miles on it, runs pretty well and doesn't have any serious issues. The car needed a new battery around last December when the last one died on me, so I decided to replace it with this battery from NAPA Auto parts. Ever since I got the new battery, the Auto-stop feature on the engine stopped working for a while (it works now, but it took around 4-5 months to kick in not sure why). Also, because of Covid-19, I haven't been driving the car much and only use it once or twice a month, if that. The new battery has been causing a lot of inconvenience as a result, because if I don't use the car for a few weeks it completely discharges the battery and the car ends up needing a jump-start every time. Is there something I can do to fix this? I had a battery test and oil change done at Pep-boys, and they said everything looked normal. They suggested that maybe if I unplug all the peripheral equipment in the car (dash-cam and chargers) that it might help to reserve the charge a little bit. It didn't end up helping at all, as the car still ended up dying again a few weeks later. As far as I'm aware, new car batteries shouldn't discharge this quickly, and the mechanic told me that batteries are supposed to start right up even if you don't use them for months on end. Could it be an issue with the new battery that I got installed? I tried to ask someone at NAPA if the Duralast battery might be better for me, but they said that it's unlikely since I would probably end up having the same problem.

I would prefer not to have to resort to a jump-starter every time I need to use the car during this outbreak, because the ear-piercing alarm always tends to go off and the entire apartment building becomes aware that I'm going out for a drive. Do you guys think replacing the battery might help? Or is there a better solution to this? I don't mind paying for a vehicle diagnostic at a Honda Service Center, but I don't want to shell out $80 just to be told "just drive your car more".