HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

HCH 2008 w/Nav Sound System

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 09:47 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: HCH 2008 w/Nav Sound System

Originally Posted by rshaw1655
Where are the six speakers? I see two speakers in the front doors and two on the rear shelf, are two of them duel cone and counted as four?
No, there are two little ones in the front corners of the dashboards, right next to the bottom corners of the windshield.

Old 07-12-2008, 06:41 AM
Enthusiast

BenderX

Do you think the "two little ones" are tweaters?

Old 07-12-2008, 10:59 PM
Energy Independence

I'd bet they ARE tweeters (as that's pretty typical), but I've not really listened closely enough to notice.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:43 AM
Active Enthusiast

Being and old audiophile I have always believed that the speakers are the key to what sounds great. After that noise and distortion count. Spend your money on the best speakers you can afford. the rest is personal preference, for all of the head units are below what a normal ear can hear.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:51 PM
Enthusiast

I would definitely replace the speakers first, before anything else. For $200, you can buy 2 pairs of great speakers, especially if you get 2006 or 2007 models. If you're cheap, you can scrape by for $120. Always buy new, and always check eBay. Used speakers could be blown or damaged.

The speaker sizes are standard: 6.5" components in the front (6.5" woofer in the door, tweeter on the dash) and 6x9" speakers in the rear. You can probably install the rear speakers yourself, but you should have an installer do the front pair; tweeter installs are annoying.

If the stereo sound is still not satisfactory, the next step is to replace the head unit. A new head unit will have output that is cleaner and louder. Installing a head unit involves purchasing 3 items: head unit, wire harness, and dash kit.

Dash kits provide the necessary physical space for all standard head units. Dash kits are about $50 online; but $100 when buying from the car audio shop! Here are the kits for 06-08 Civics without nav:

Scosche HA1561DGB (dark grey)
Scosche HA1561ETB (earth taupe)
Scosche HA1561BMB (blue metallic)

The wire harness is just an adapter that connects the factory wire bundle under the dash to any modern head unit. They're about $20, but Crutchfield.com will often include it for free when you buy a head unit. Also check eBay.

The dash kit and wire harness are "one time" installs. Once they're installed, you can very easily swap in a different head unit in the future (in less than 5 minutes).

Old 08-09-2008, 08:33 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rshaw1655
I'm not overly pleased with the sound system, has anyone done anything to improve the sound? I was think of new speakers.

I replaced the front and rear speakers with some dual cone higher end speakers. Sound is much better. There are adapters to fit 6.5" speakers in the rear and doors. There are speaker wire adapters to convert the factory wiring plug to typical 2 conductor connectors. Once you've done it, you can change the speakers in less that an hour. The rear speaker grills can be removed by popping the connectors from the trunk side. Once popper, all installation can be done from the back seat/back shelf area. No need to remove the shelf or seat to access this area. The doors are quiet easy once you know where the clips are.

THe front dash grills cover tweeter speakers. I have taken these apart and I need to upgrade these as well. I have the speakers, but they look like they need to be glued into the speaker grills. Running the wire and crossovers are what is keeping me from finishing the full upgrade.

Overall I like the output of the factory Nav system given the speaker upgrades. It can benefit with a small 4 channal amp.

Given the overall road noise, especially from the rear wheel well area, this would be the next upgrade that I would consider.

Tdsoup....

Old 04-10-2009, 11:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

Upgrading the sound. Alpine head units are actually pretty good. Had an Accord EX that I added a 5 channel Alpine Amp and a 10" sub in the trunk. It sounded tight.

I would like at least a modest upgrade in my HCHII. So far I replaced stock speakers with Infinities (efficient, good highs and mids) Need some bass but don't want to eat up trunk space or look too customized. I prefer a very stock clean look.

Any one install Bazooka tubes, powered subs, or small enclosures?

How's it working?

Thanks much,
Lansing