HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

HCH II - 3500 mile report

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 10:44 AM
Enthusiast
Default HCH II - 3500 mile report

I promised myself I would report in at 3 or 4 thousand miles on my new 2009 HCH II...here goes, but not much to say:

1. Car is getting about 43-44 mpg. I need to drive either too fast -- if going less than 70 you might get killed on the NJtpke -- or too much stop and go on the local roads. I also have been using the AC during the summer, and perhaps the gas mix is not optimal. But this is so much better than the gas guzzler whose lease expired (and which took premium) that I am spending 1/3 as much for gas.

2. Zero problems or issues with performance or anything breaking or fit and finish. It seems very well built.

3. Just turned from 70% to 60% oil life. This seems in line with what others have said.

4. Tires are at about 40 psi, car handles fine. Not a porsche, but better in many ways than my infiniti, which tramlined badly due to very poor tires.

5. Electric seems to charge better and give more power the last 1000 or so miles. Not surprising.

I am very happy with this purchase, I am surprised that Honda doesn't market the car much more.

Mark

Old 09-19-2009, 10:54 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: HCH II - 3500 mile report

Mark, you are about 600 miles ahead of me – I'm at 2,900. Oil life is 70 percent. Could not be happier with the car. I had looked at the Civic Hybrid in '07 but was pressured into the larger Camry Hybrid, against my better judgment. The Civic Hybrid is MUCH more satisfying to drive, averages about 8 MPG better, and is far better built. Really, it's a world of difference, and I concur that Honda has missed a great opportunity by letting this car fall into the 'sleeper' category. Congrats to you, and many more happy miles.

Old 09-19-2009, 03:56 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: HCH II - 3500 mile report

Mark & Steve,

I'm delighted to hear your positive experiences, particularly the comparisons with your previous cars that most would consider "upscale" relative to the HCH II.

After more than a year, my own experience is similar to yours. While I find my '05 Accord EX-L a bit more comfortable on the highway, I find the driving experience in the HCH more engaging. I've relearned how to keep a very steady foot on the gas pedal with the aid of the iFCD (on metric). I now drive the Accord differently based on what I've learned from driving the HCH. ( A Scan Gauge would be great!)

What most people don't realize is that the HCH has a number of upscale features not included in the regular North American Civics. These cars are assembled at the Suzuka factory which builds the Acura TSX, RL, and until recently the NSX and S2000. I find the two-tone interior is more European-looking compared with the rather plain grey found in most other Civics. Like you, I can't find any flaws in the fit or finish. I find the two-level display and digital speedometer clear and functional. I will admit it took a few days to adapt, but now I really prefer it.

So far as mileage goes, I find mine varies from the low 40's to mid 50's. The best is at steady 40-50 mph on level roads. The worst results are from short cold trips and highway speeds above 70 mph with uphill grades. I am now using Mobil 1 0w-20 but can't say I've noticed that much of an increase in mpg.

I have been a fan of Honda cars and motorcycles for many years. I respect their ability to mass produce products with a very high level of engineering sophistication that deliver dependable service for many years. I know I am not alone on this!

Cheers,

Roger

Old 09-19-2009, 06:18 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: HCH II - 3500 mile report

I had zero problems with my car and think its the most solid car I had till now.Too bad Honda does not make more.
All I can say is that my HCH changed me for the better. I was such a numb skull before I got my HCH-II,that I swear I drove no better than a stupid gear-headed cave man. I sped like an idiot and only cared about getting to my destination as fast as I could.
but thanks to these online forums I now save much more than gas and money and here is the weird stuff: I really enjoy driving a lot more now than before and I still don't arrive later to where I wanna go. This is to much fun.

ks