HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

HCH II shortage

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 01:02 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: HCH II shortage

I have been told 30-60 days for N NJ. I was lucky and got one where the deal fell through. Also lucky in that the dealer emailed me a web price of 21,500 ish (w/o navi) and actually agreed to meet the price when I showed up to purchase it. I think I got a great deal.

Old 05-29-2008, 02:22 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nsxrox
Did you buy your car off the lot, or did you pre-order it? That may make a difference. Cars that sit on the dealer's lot are costing them money every day it goes unsold. Therefore, it seems that they would be more motivated to offer a discount off MSRP.
I did not pre-order. I contacted the dealer and they had none in stock. The salesman called me a few days later and said they just got one and were unloading it off the truck. It had the navi and was the color I wanted. I guess it was just pure luck. I offered them $1000 under sticker and they countered with $500 under. I am actually shocked they gave me $500 off and 1.9% financing. I had no trade in, so perhaps that had something to do with it.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

You had good credit and you offered to buy it right then. That's what had the most to do with it.

But this shows that there's no "shortage" of HCHs. If there were, they'd be selling for above MSRP, as they were back in 2006. So everyone, don't panic! Don't believe any dealer hype. Don't put down a deposit. Don't pay too much for your hybrid.

Call and email dealerships to see what they have. Shop around and wait to buy until you get the car you want at the price you want, like all smart consumers do.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:02 PM
Hybrid Owner

I'm not sure what part of numerous reports of '0 in stock' does not equate to a shortage

Old 05-30-2008, 12:07 PM
Enthusiast

I paid sticker for mine, got a decent trade in on my element. They had 8 in stock. Now 0. Orders and waiting lists are going now. And a few hundred off sticker still means sticker. Even car buying services from credit unions can't get these cars now. Good luck in your pursuit.

Old 05-30-2008, 02:33 PM
Enthusiast

It's amazing how much things can change in just a few weeks. I bought my 2008 HCH (Magnetic Pearl w/Nav) on the last day of April for just under dealer invoice + TTL. As someone suggested, a car sitting on the lot costs the dealership money every day it goes unsold, and I believe dealers get audited by the manufacturer at the end of each month to see what they have in inventory. I think this makes dealers more likely to bargain at the end of the month.

I was originally shopping for a Prius but it was the same story with that just shifted back in time by a month. Demand suddenly skyrocketed between the beginning and end of April. In the beginning of the month, there were people talking about getting quotes for just above dealer invoice; by the end of the month, it was "get on my waiting list and pay MSRP" at every dealership. People are so fickle.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:27 AM
Proud owner HCHII

As a Honda stock holder, I love it!

Old 05-31-2008, 09:46 PM
Great Mileage and Green

I've got mine, and I'm glad to see them selling so well...bring on the shortage, bring on production.

Old 06-02-2008, 02:30 AM
Phone's ringin' dude

I found the same problem in the Phoenix Metro area. The day came that I decided to buy one and started calling dealerships. The 4th one I called had a couple. When I got there, which was uber far, I bought the last one. They had sold over 20 that week! With gas going up and up, they're becoming harder to find. Best of luck!