HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

HCH II vs Prius in Cold Weather

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 09:15 AM
MEAN TO BE GREEN ACTIVIST
Question HCH II vs Prius in Cold Weather

Just Curious,

Does either the HCH II or Prius have a mileage advantage in colder weather? I thought we had a few owners who had both cars. I realize there are many variables to consider, BUT the people who own both cars could do some real life comparisons on their work commute or a trip to their family. If you have the same miles, weather, load, and use the cruise some good info could be had. I find in interesting that the EPA & Consumer Reports routinely tout the Prius as getting about 10 MPG better than the HCH II - but our GH database shows about 1MPG difference overall.

Last edited by Donald; 01-17-2007 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Add stuff.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:17 AM
Eco Accelerometrist
Default Re: HCH II vs Prius in Cold Weather

According to my observations, the HCH-II has a definite advantage over the Prius. While not significant around the freezing point temps it becomes more pronouced in extreme cold temperatures - especially when the ICE is forced to run constantly. It is my belief the Toyota ICE powerplant is measurably less efficient in extreme weather than the Honda's.

The way I see it, this may not mean much to folks in more moderate climates, but in colder climates like mine it becomes an extremely depressing reality to deal with - especially when the base Prius is almost $9,000.00 more than an HCH-II.
The traction control on the Prius is a liability. It is both embarrassing and I may even say dangerous because under some circumstances it can leave you completely helpless - Even with my Michelin X-Ice snow tires.

On the good side of things, the Prius is still without a doubt a wonderful machine and I am certain it has the edge when the weather favours it. I am looking forward to see what kind of mileage I get out of mine when the good weather returns. Until then, my HCH-II is the preferred safety winter car.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 01-17-2007, 10:52 AM
Enthusiast

We have a 2005 Prius and a 2006 HCH2 and live in the Chicago-area where it gets hot/humid in summer and cold in winter. We both drive each car and our driving habits are similar. We've found that the Prius consistently averages 6 to 10 mpg higher than the HCH2 in all weather (i.e., HCH2 between 33 & 44, Prius between 42 and 53). Cold weather = lower mpg in both cars.

Old 01-17-2007, 11:15 AM
Banned

hmm, that is interesting that the Prius gets so much bettter mileage. I guess that following the real world mileage of GH members is better than the EPA numbers that seem somewhat bogus at times.

Old 01-18-2007, 07:01 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I thought a base Prius was < $23k?

Old 01-18-2007, 08:12 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by noflash
I thought a base Prius was < $23k?
Sorry. You are probaly referring to US pricing. I should have been more explicit.
Unlike in the US, in other markets the Prius is priced substancially higher than an HCH. In the case of the Canadian market, a Prius package A (base) can be had for roughly $32K CND with no options- mine cost almost $34K. An HCH can be had for $25K CND or less.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 01-18-2007, 07:25 PM
Active Enthusiast

We have an '06 HCHII and an 06 Prius. They both get within 1-2 mpg of each other.

As the data base shows, they offer virtually identical fuel economy. They also have to be driven very differently to get high FE.
I find it much, much easier to get higher mileage with the HCHII. I average around 60 on most trips either either car. My wife averages low 40's on either car (I rarely let her drive my HCHII).

In cold weather (rare in sunny South Florida), FE drops by about 10mpg on both.

Old 01-19-2007, 05:01 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

A big difference between Chicago and Florida owners?