HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

HCH11 CVT Mods.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 07:22 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default HCH11 CVT Mods.

I wonder if it would be possible to lock the CVT in the cruise mode once you have reached your desired cruise? Does the CVT shift because of torque or is it regulated via a PC and sensors? It would be nice to lock it up!!! H

Old 04-15-2008, 08:39 PM
Eco Accelerometrist
Default Re: HCH11 CVT Mods.

Harold:

The CVT is primarily controlled by the PCM (Powertrain Control Module). Its behavior (the CVT's) is governed by the PCM software and soft thresholds derived by various sensors and inputs from other hybrid specific systems sharing the CAN bus.

If I understand correctly you are trying to determine if it is possible to force the CVT to hold on to a ratio for longer periods of time? If so then I could see some difficulties associated with the implementation if the software governance is not factored in.

As an alternative, I personally believe our foot feathering skills hold the key to ensuring the steadiness of the ratio, especially when you want to "lock in" a great instantaneous FE. With the Scangauge I would look for a relatively high LOD value range as an indicator of an upcoming down shift . Because of this I would try keeping an LOD in the 35 to 45 to sustain a good cruise condition.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 04-15-2008, 09:21 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

msantos:
I understand how the system operates now, at least more than before the post. Thanks. I still find the system operates similiar too a propeller with not enough pitch. It would be nice to be able to control the RPM and use more engine torque. The assist bars light up in the same manner. I supose it is set up for the best Fe, but I would like to have some control over this when out on the open road. I realize this could be a problem, even dangerous when in heavy traffic. IE not much torque in that little ICE. I understand some of you use a assist limiter in your car? Could this not be done with the CVT by interupting the signal? H

Old 04-20-2008, 12:17 PM
rgx
Active Enthusiast

Harold, I think the CVT and engine are already operating at optimum rpm and torque levels.

There's a Honda tech paper about all the features of the engine and CVT, ty to find that one. Here are the main things I remember.

1. Electronic throttle. This means the accelerator position has not much to do with the actual throttle position.
2. Dual spark plugs, that fire in sequence or simultaneously depending on load and rpm.
3. Variable valve timing.
4. Valves can be completely opened or shut for 1, 2, 3 or all 4 cylinders.
5. At low rpms, only two of the four valves per cylinder will be used, to increase torque.
6. Assist and regen by electric motor.
7. CVT completely electronically controlled. No torque converter (so no lock-up needed).

From what I understand, the controller will try to drive at fully open throttle always, since it is most efficient. Instead of using the throttle, power (and output torque) is regulated by the gear ratio, the electric power assist/regen, and by shutting down cylinders. This might be what you experience as the "propeller with low pitch". Whenever more power is needed, the controller will change gear ratio and increase rpms (since the throttle is already fully open, it can't get more power from there). This feels different from a normal gas engine/gear box combination.

Example, when driving at 110 km/h, engine speed will be around 2000 rpm. Most likely, the 1.3 L engine is at full throttle then. (That is also consistent with the torque figures from Honda, and with the fuel consumption at that speed.) Only way to get more power is to increase rpms.

At low speeds and idle, throttle will not be fully open obviously. And during short periods of time when changing gear ratio, for example when you lift off after a quick acceleration. Also, I have noticed that when driving at above 125 km/h, the CVT/engine will lock at a semi-constant rpm. That probably means the throttle is actually used to regulate power.

I have no actual proof that this is how it works, it is only based on my own experience and reading.