HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

HCHII failure to start

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 08:13 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: HCHII failure to start

09hch,

The key is a great possibilty. Perhaps the key was damaged during the day and the DEALER reprogrammed it? Of course he said nothing was wrong.

Good thinking on the key though

Old 09-15-2006, 08:53 AM
Happy Hybrid Owner

Originally Posted by 06HCH - MP
Could it be the key? Maybe the chip didn't register? What happens if you try to start the car with the wrong chip?
We have 2 HCHs'06 at home with almost identical keys and keychains. Once I got into my car with the wrong key, the key would turn but nothing, it took me a couple of minutes to realize that I was trying the wrong key. A faulty chip or key is a plausible explanation.

Old 09-15-2006, 06:24 PM
Enthusiast

The key is ruled out, as the car turned over.
I had filled up about 20 miles before I arrived at work, driven it to work, and put the car away for the day. It had a full tank.

My thought, is that there was either no spark, or no fuel being delivered to the engine. But, that does not explain the IMA light, and battery gauge which showed zero bars.

I am having my local dealer check it out tomorrow, and will post what they find.

Old 09-15-2006, 06:35 PM
Active Enthusiast

Otto,

I thought the engine would crank just not start if the key was not recognized by the steering column.

Let me ask a far out question.... keep in mind I am stabbing here.

Do you have alot of keys or large keychain type device?

By any chance, did you try to start the car AFTER you removed the keys from your key ring in order to leave it with the dealer?

By any chance, do you have a similar key on the ring which may have interferred with the system ?

Just thinkin out loud, not saying any of these are the problem.

Hope it never happens to ya again!

Old 09-15-2006, 11:05 PM
Enthusiast

No problems, I appreciate the thoughts on the matter.

My keychain contains 2 car keys, and 3 house keys. Only the Honda key has any form of electronics on it.

I did try to start the car with the key off of the keyring, when the tow truck showed up.

I'll ask the dealer tomorrow what happens if the chip in the key is not recognized.

Old 09-17-2006, 08:17 AM
Enthusiast

Walnut Creek Honda went through my car, and could find nothing; which does not surprise me as the car has been fine for the past few days. The service manager did say that the key theory is a possibility. If the key does not have the proper code, the engine will turn over, but it will not start. It doesn't explain the IMA light though.

Old 09-18-2006, 07:21 AM
Enthusiast

Hi

Would just like to know what the car sounds like when it cranks but wont start when I start my car I dont hear it crank. When your car wasnt starting did it sound like the conventinal starter was turning it over. The IMA should sound different when turning it over without starting the ICE.

Old 09-18-2006, 08:32 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by riksmg1
Hi

Would just like to know what the car sounds like when it cranks but wont start when I start my car I dont hear it crank. When your car wasnt starting did it sound like the conventinal starter was turning it over. The IMA should sound different when turning it over without starting the ICE.
Actually the vehicle has a conventional battery and starter. It's just rarely used (extreme cold or other circumstance).

Old 09-18-2006, 10:43 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

On a similar question - what happens when the battery IS completely dead? Can the IMA provide enough juice to kick over the motor or to turn the starter if it has to? Under normal conditions the IMA turns over the car and it starts very quietly. Shouldn't you be able to disconnect your 12V battery and STILL be able to start the car? You won't be able to sit there with the key on Ign-II and listen to the radio and turn on the lights or anything but the car should start, yes?

I have confirmed (unfortunately) that when the car is out of gas that you can still run 100% off the IMA battery - not real far or real fast but you CAN still get down the road. I've always wondered about having a "dead" battery and if the IMA is enough to get the car started where the alternator can take over, etc.

V=I*R but I don't know the missing components. We have a 12-volt Starter battery and a 158-volt IMA battery but I don't know the Amps and Ohms in each area. Does anyone know this? Will disconnecting the battery and then trying to start it generate any errors or codes or CELs?

Old 09-18-2006, 11:03 AM
Enthusiast

I believe the cars computer components run of the 12v system making the IMA unusable when thers no 12v. I wonder how much 12v power is needed to get the IMA up and running to recharge the 12v battery. Possably using a small 12v battery you could plug in through the 12v accessory plug in the car and get the IMA back up.

Quick Reply: HCHII failure to start

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands