HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

How does the speedometer gets its speed data?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 08:52 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Very Interesting!

Originally Posted by Orient Express
I wonder if there is a screen that shows coordinates, elevation, bearing and velocity?
There certainly is. Take a look at these screens. Now why would you have to wait until the next day to try this though - you're supposed to run out to the car the minute you read the post and go experiment the new settings. =) Edit: To get to the GPS Detail screen you have to get the intial (satellite) GPS screen and then hold Map or Menu for 3 seconds (can't remember but one of them does it).

This photo is the hidden Nav screen showing satellites being tracked, Lat, Lon, Elev, Date, and Time.

This photo is the hidden Nav screen showing much more including Horizontal drop, Vertical drop, Speed (to the tenth of a mph!), Direction, Date, Time, as well as Satellite info such as: Azimuth, Elevation, and others I don't know what they mean.

Last edited by Flash; 12-03-2006 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Added instructions on how to find the GPS Detail screen
Old 12-03-2006, 09:19 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: How does the speedometer gets its speed data?

Originally Posted by Orient Express
thanks for clearing that up.

No, I did not do the GPS test on the car with the original tires. (and I don't feel like putting the original tires back on for a test... )

If there is anyone in the South San Jose Ca. area with a 06/07 Civic Hybrid with the original wheel tire combination who would like to help with this test, please email or PM me.

I suspect that given the speedometer reading with the new tires is dead on the GPS data, that the OEM tires would be a little slower because those tires are taller.
Orient Express: I just happened to check my speedometer/odometer last week and posted my findings (and I live in the South Bay ). Check out the thread titled "Odometer Error = Lower Real MPG". I have the stock tires with 5000 miles on an 06 HCH. From my observations, a smaller diamater tire would improve accuracy of the speedo. So maybe you got lucky with your new tires.

-dan

Old 12-03-2006, 09:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

Flash:

I've known about the Navi diagnostic screens for several weeks, but I've never seen the screen you show called "GPS Detail." It shows the current speed GPS speed which I would love to be able to see. How did you get to the "Detail" screen?

Thanks.

-dan

Old 12-04-2006, 06:16 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The spedo was designed to handle a range of tire sizes... so it's a comprimise between the various sizes and the differences is only amplified at higher speeds.

Old 12-05-2006, 12:35 AM

Darren, thanks for posting the photos and info on those screens. I tried them out this evening. Nifty... makes you wonder if there are any other diagnostic things to play with! One question for you, though... Your screens show your latitude & longitude. That puts you on I76, maybe a mile west of Gibsonia Rd. At that point, I76 only goes east / west, yet your screen shows "direction 1.6 degrees". How is that possible? Should have been (about) 90 if you were headed east or 270 if headed west. As you can plainly see, I have too much time on my hands!

Old 12-05-2006, 09:00 AM
Über Lord of Hypermillia
Default Love Hidden menus

I wonder if there are any diagnostic menus hidden in the instrument cluster?

Old 12-13-2006, 05:24 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Yes I do wonder what other diag screens/modes are available separate from what a ScanGauge II or OBD-II reader can obtain. Thanks for your confirmation as I was, in fact, heading west on I-76 and can send you other screens for confirmation. As for direction - I don't know - ask Honda. That might be the difference in direction since the last 10-second mpg-update or the difference in direction to the main/primary GPS satellite. Good question though.

An instrument cluster hidden screen would be neat too - something like holding down the Reset button and the left brightness button while turning on the car or something.

Old 12-13-2006, 10:41 PM

I tried the special screen and got the strange "direction" reading, too. Something in the 1 degree range. Perhaps it has something to do with direction of one of the satellites, instead of actual compass heading.