HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

How Long Till We average 49 MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 10:24 AM
Wo ai Zheng!
Default Re: How Long Till We average 49 MPG?

Originally Posted by Mr. Kite
For those that have been around longer, can you tell me what these averages have been doing over the past?
Easiest way to see is to take a combination of the top mileage and top hypermiler cars, and look at their histories. There's a *very* obvious spike between the first tank and subsequent tanks on nearly everybody, and it seems a number of people are noticing a second jump in the 3000-4500mi range as their cars are getting broken in and finding their legs.

Old 06-17-2006, 10:28 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kenny
Yes please get into the database.

It is meant to be accurate, not misleadingly good.
Done

Old 06-17-2006, 10:30 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Thanks

Old 06-17-2006, 10:37 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I think you should still post, whether or not you've had great mileage. Like someone said, its meant to be informative, not a contest. I know we ALL want our bragging rights, but really, this is just a website with some unofficial, unverified database, its best to remember that at times.

Doesn't mean I don't enjoy the website.

Old 06-17-2006, 10:48 AM
Enthusiast

Let's hope I don't decide to do a high performance lapping day at the track My S2000 typically gets about 26-27 mpg when I try but at the track, it's about 8mpg

Old 06-17-2006, 02:41 PM
MEAN TO BE GREEN ACTIVIST
Talking Re: How Long Till We average 49 MPG?

Originally Posted by s2ktaxi
my commute has a lot of stop and go and some long steep hill climbs - I doubt I'd even be able to get up to current average much less help improve it - so, my mileage is staying off the database
s2ktaxi,
I agree with others. You should put your data in. The database should reflect the good, the bad, etc. We can all learn from each other - especially if you enter the info - ie # of stops, hills, weather, length of commute, etc.

Old 06-17-2006, 03:38 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Donald
s2ktaxi,
I agree with others. You should put your data in. The database should reflect the good, the bad, etc. We can all learn from each other - especially if you enter the info - ie # of stops, hills, weather, length of commute, etc.
No problem - done. And while I was at it, I've begun to enter data for my other cars as well That said, my wife drives the hybrid about 60% of the time and I keep needing to bring the average up Just added 0.3mpg avg at 450 miles for the tank in 20 miles yesterday. She normally takes the average down by about that much over the same distance and route.

Old 06-18-2006, 06:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well we are doing our part. Had the dash up to 42.6 today-but then we hit terrible traffic on the way back from Manhattan and watched the MPG drop to below 40 *UGH*

99 degree temps with a heat index well over 100 with humidity-had the AC on and was barely autostopping...

Either way-there is some encouraging news-my wife now wants to get another Hybrid for the next car (second) when we need one-she likes the idea of not filling up so often!

WOOHOO-breakthrough!!!

Old 06-20-2006, 06:54 PM
Aneil Mishra, Ph.D.

I need to slow down, because at 75 mph on highways, I'm not helping the database, but then again, I'm still helping the environment and our economy a great deal over my former car.

Aneil

Old 06-20-2006, 07:35 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I'm trying to make a small contribution. Currently, I'm working on a 60mpg tank. I'm not quite 400 miles into it. I temporarily (twice) tried to avoid any trips that I thought would hurt my FE, but I have since decided against that.

One thing that has really helped, I just started using my Trip B odometer to track my trips individually. (I was using that for the lifetime of the car.) If you just use the Trip A for the tank, it is easy to become impatient (at least for me). Using the Trip B, I get a new challenge every time I get in the car. I've had fun just with my daily commute (7 miles and 13 stoplights each way). I've been able to get in the low 50s on the morning part and 70s to low 80s on the return trip. It's amazing what a few hundred feet elevation change will do.

On past tanks, I kind of had 50mpg as a goal. I think I balanced fast or aggressive driving with moderate driving to achieve that goal. Several factors have increased my FE. I have realized that 60mpg is an attainable goal, I have gotten better at driving the car for FE, the car has broken in, and I have increased the tire pressure from about 32psi to ~38psi.

Quick Reply: How Long Till We average 49 MPG?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands