HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

How many miles on your original HCH-II IMA battery?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 04:23 PM
Mugen Whore
Default Re: How many miles on your original HCH-II IMA battery?

Originally Posted by roadwarrier
my 2008 hch has 325000 miles original battery no problems as of yet
That's insane! My 06 is pretty low mileage at 195,000 currently lol

Old 02-06-2012, 03:31 PM
"Manalo"

~50k I had to replace my IMA battery due to the symptoms everyone seemed to have faced. Luckily it was under warranty and they had performed a software update. Now I'm starting to hear the cooling fan turn on more often now. I'm currently at 80k and I'm worried now that this car will become a money pit in the future. #notwinning

Old 04-05-2012, 08:27 AM
Enthusiast

I purchased my 2006 Civic Hybrid brand new and I have 146,000+ miles on it. Getting about 42 MPG combined.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:43 AM
Enthusiast

2006 Civic and the IMA light came on permanently at about 144,000. Code read shows P0A7F, Replace Deteriorating Hybrid Battery. I notice that the battery now assists very little and recharges on the bar graph very quickly. I've spoken with a local HM dealer service department this morning. They reported that the battery should be 100% covered under an exended warranty to 150,000 miles. They report the cost of a replacement battery is about $3500. I have an appointment later this week for initial trouble-shooting. I'll post an update later.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:07 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bernball
My 2006 HCH II is about to hit the 140,000 mile mark and I've not had a battery problem. Yesterday the "Malfunction Indicator Lamp" came on, followed by the "IMA System Indicator". The IMA light went out within a few minutes and the Malfunction Indicator Lamp did not come back on at the end of the day. However, my battery charge, which normally is 1 bar from maximum, was at the lowest 2 bars for the first 5 minutes of my drive before spiking up to the 1 bar below max. I'm taking her in for a look-see tomorrow morning.
Update on my earlier post (quoted). The dealer was not able to replicate the problem the day after my post, and thankfully, the issue has not returned since that time.

navguy12: I have had the software update.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:46 AM
Enthusiast

2006 with 65K. Replaced the 12v starting battery (under warranty) no problems yet. Since the car is getting higher in miles I feel I should check up on the extended warranty. I bought it used with 30K on it already.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:50 PM
Piloti di Hybridi

2006 with 139,000 miles on the original battery. It was about worn out though. With the software update, it was almost never in use. Lots of recals and very little assist. I replaced the entire car last week.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:51 PM
mpk
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cwerdna
The results on the Honda hybrids at http://avt.inl.gov/hev.shtml might be interesting to the OP.
Sorry to revive an old thread, but the referenced report is interesting. On the two HCH1 cars tested, they retained an average of 68% battery capacity at 160,000.

So I'm scratching my head- how does this mesh with the reports of dramatic battery degradation on HCH1 and HCH2 ? I myself have an HCH2 whose capacity dropped below 10% (yes, that is not a typo. Ten Percent) before it was replaced under warranty. And my HCH1 is having P1449 now at 120kmi.

The government test racked up 160kmi in two years. 80kmi a year-- probably a lot of highway driving, which seems to be easy for hybrid powertrains. I wish a test specifically did stop and go city in a hot climate with A/C on- that is more real world and exposes the weaknesses of air cooled battery systems.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:01 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mpk
Sorry to revive an old thread, but the referenced report is interesting. On the two HCH1 cars tested, they retained an average of 68% battery capacity at 160,000.

So I'm scratching my head- how does this mesh with the reports of dramatic battery degradation on HCH1 and HCH2 ? I myself have an HCH2 whose capacity dropped below 10% (yes, that is not a typo. Ten Percent) before it was replaced under warranty. And my HCH1 is having P1449 now at 120kmi.

The government test racked up 160kmi in two years on an '06 (HCHII). 80kmi a year-- probably a lot of highway driving, which seems to be easy for hybrid powertrains. I wish a test specifically did stop and go city in a hot climate with A/C on- that is more real world and exposes the weaknesses of air cooled battery systems.
The fact sheet reports it was 161K mi in 29 months. The car was used in Phoenix as a courier vehicle six days a week running documents between JP Morgan Chase branches. It was driven an average of 213 miles per day at an average speed of 26.6 mph (assuming 8 hr days). I expect it is a decent mix of highway and city miles. It lived through three Phoenix summers and likely used A/C for 13 months with triple digit temperatures during those months (I have an '06 HCHII, and I live in Phoenix). I calculated the capacity afterwards to be about 86% (80% being the industry standard for "failed").

While this represents a stressful situation, I don't believe it's valid for comparison to the fleet as a whole as it neglects some factors typical of the fleet as a whole: 1) increase in the number and duration of bleed down cycles - when the car is not driven, the cells discharge. My cells have experienced a far greater number of self-discharge periods and duration of discharges in its 8 years. 2) greater number of climate cycles - cells deteriorate from seasonal climate changes swinging from cold to warm/hot (my car has been through nine Phoenix summers as opposed to 2.7).

I think the real issue is the fact that a single bad or marginal D-cell out of 132 can bring a pack do its knees How many D-cells are out there? Millions? What's the failure rate?. What percentage of cars does that affect?

To stay true to the topic of this thread, I have 132,000 miles on my '06 on the original battery (bought used 4 years ago, 17k mi/yr for me). I am getting daily recals (3 in 20 miles), and within the last couple months, I've received a few IMA/check engine lights. I built the 350mA grid charger over the last weekend and plan to put together a discharger for my first attempt at a grid charge/discharge refurb this weekend.

Steve

Old 10-20-2014, 10:58 AM
Enthusiast

Our '09 that we just bought a few days ago only has around 58K miles on it and sure enough, the CEL/IMA lights came on yesterday. Dropping it at Honda today to find out what the deal is.

Quick Reply: How many miles on your original HCH-II IMA battery?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands