HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

How many miles on your original HCH-II IMA battery?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 12:51 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: How many miles on your original HCH-II IMA battery?

I have a 2006 Civic Hybrid with 173,000 Miles on it. The IMA Light has been on and off since August of 2012. I don't really count on the battery anymore. Still get close to 40MPG highway but city is 25MPG at best. Looking to replace it after tax return this year. Thought about asking my Honda Dealer to work with me on the price since I found a new one online for $1,437.71. Any suggestions?

Old 01-14-2015, 01:11 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

You should link the source for that new one. That price is the best in the country. Personally, I'd spend the extra for a 8Ah unit from Bumblebee or Hybrid Revolt

Old 01-14-2015, 01:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

http://www.hondapartscheap.com/oe-honda/1d070rmxa80rm

Here is the link. Seems like they would be getting the same parts as a Honda dealer just at a better price with less mark up.

Old 01-14-2015, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Colematthew82
http://www.hondapartscheap.com/oe-honda/1d070rmxa80rm

Here is the link. Seems like they would be getting the same parts as a Honda dealer just at a better price with less mark up.
It is my understanding that Honda does not sell batteries with new cells anymore as they are not made anymore. I would confirm that you are indeed getting a NEW pack with NEW cells before purchasing. Also factor in your shipping and return shipping costs.

Bumblebee and Hybrid Revolt sell old packs with brand new 8Ah (vs. 5.5Ah) sticks in them with a 3 year warranty for about 50% more.

Old 01-14-2015, 02:35 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to replace the catalytic converter at the manifold. I was getting P0420 bank 2. I had the 2nd cat replaced 2 years ago and then it started throwing P0420 Bank 1. Also, going to do both upstream and down stream sensors. Then do all 8 spark plugs. I'll have to wait for my tax return to make a decision about the battery.

Old 01-14-2015, 03:29 PM

Do the plugs first IMHO. Get the misfire resolved.

Old 01-14-2015, 03:37 PM
Active Enthusiast

OK. Plugs are ordered. I'll post my results.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:58 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mpk
Sorry for your bad experience. I've had battery problems as well. However, other hybrid designs haven't had as many battery problems. And Honda started water cooling the batteries in subsequent Civics.

I'd probably still get a hybrid next time
I couldn't find any reference to water cooled civic IMA battery on google, where did you find this info?.

The other main reason I would not recommend hybrid is, the newer sedan's can reach ~38mpg with lot less complicated design (no IMA/Batteries). The rental vehicle I am currently driving (Hyundai Elantra) gave ~40mpg for the last 2 days, on the same roads that I have been driving civic hybrid on, which used to do ~46mpg (albeit with bad battery and multiple re-calibrations per trip).

Also this rental car seems to have more power and I feel safer while merging onto highway in crazy DFW traffic.

(All mpg's are with sensible driving, not racing to the red lights which 95% of people on the road seem to do)

Old 01-14-2015, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by mpk
Sorry for your bad experience. I've had battery problems as well. However, other hybrid designs haven't had as many battery problems. And Honda started water cooling the batteries in subsequent Civics.

I'd probably still get a hybrid next time
Please provide a reference for your claim of water cooling. IIRC, none of the NiMH civics up to 2011 were water cooled.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:57 PM
mpk
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
Please provide a reference for your claim of water cooling. IIRC, none of the NiMH civics up to 2011 were water cooled.
Hmmm.... I see how what I wrote implied subsequent years. I meant subsequent generations, i.e. the 9th generation Civic hybrid using lithium ion. Sorry I did not state clearly.

Quick Reply: How many miles on your original HCH-II IMA battery?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands