HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

How many of you have had battery issues?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 03:19 PM
Enthusiast
Default How many of you have had battery issues?

As some have read, I had battery issues after less than one year and had to have my battery replaced under warranty, (After escalating the issue).

In my previous thread where I discussed my issue, it seems a few others out there had the same symptoms I did.

I was just curious for those HCH II owners out there:

1. How many of you have had battery issues?

For those who did have issues:

1. How long did you own your HCH II before experiencing those battery issues?
2. Do you live in a warm climate or a cold climate?

Old 03-26-2010, 09:23 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: How many of you have had battery issues?

I'm glad to see that your case ended well Smurf. A battery replacement brought your car's performance to where it should have been all along, and I agree with all the concerns you raised with American Honda about how ridiculous it is to get this kind of battery issue properly diagnosed and taken care of.

Ever since I've owned my '09, I've had recals with frequency ranging from once a week to once a day depending on ambient temperature. SOC patterns similar to yours- once it drops below 5-6 bars it usually drops all the way down to 1, recharges to about 4, then jumps to 8. I do live in a very warm climate; highs average from 60's in winter to 100's in summer.

IMA light has never come on. Dealer says they can do nothing until the light comes on and that there are no software updates available, which is BS since you said they updated your car. Not that the software did any good for you...

Last edited by morgante; 03-26-2010 at 09:31 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:41 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

We've got an '06, just coming up on 80,000 km now (around 50,000 miles?). Our battery's had it's ups and downs, but of late has been behaving pretty good, keeping in good charge range, even running right up once in a while, by the end of a long down hill, or extended freeway drive. A few months back we were getting fairly frequent re-cals, but that seems to have gone away. I guess what I'm driving at is maybe batteries can "heal", at least in some cases. Just speculating.

We had one software update, in March of 2007, in conjunction with the recall regarding better protection of the IMA battery terminals. Nothing since. I also did a pre-emptive replacement of the 12 volt battery, about 3~4 months back. The 12 volt battery was still functional, but we'd had a few "near deaths", leaving lights on, so just thought it was time for a change.

Also, I periodically hook the 12 volt up to a CTEK 3300 battery charger, an "intelligent", low amp charger.

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 03-27-2010 at 08:44 AM.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:04 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Hi. Nice to stop back in after awhile.

1. I have an HCH2 2006 model. Bought April 2006.
2. had both the hybrid battery pack and regular car battery replaced at 55,000 miles. The IMA light came on right as I was pulling into the Honda Dealership for a regular service!
3. Recal frequency had gone way up prior to this. The car was driving OK however.
4. After both batteries replaced ( hybrid battery under warranty done for free), I have had ZERO recalibrations. That was 5000 miles ago.
5. Last two tanks of gas, my MPGs have been 52.1 and 50 respectively.

The car is very dependable and very inexpensive to operate. I have had it for four years and have absolutely no complaints about anything. My extended warranty goes through 2013. All good with this purchase.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

I believe our usage determine the ima batt lifespan
no doubt our weather here usually warm but

for the past 2 1/2 years, i use it frequently until recently I hardly use it
the battery degraded and despite the ima light never lighted the charges don't hold very long and any usage depleted it super fast

i've since replaced ima batt foc by the local dealer, the ima performance returned to my day one of ownership

Old 04-17-2010, 09:21 PM
Enthusiast

I had a battery replaced at appx 40K on a 2006 Civic H.

We live in AZ so the heat may be an issue. The vehicle is garage kept- not sure if that helps or not.

No issues with replacement- dealer took care of it no quesitons asked.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:55 AM
Enthusiast

I think i'm starting to have battery issues,
i have battery recalls every day, sometimes even two or three times per day, when i start driving at morning, even though when i parked the car day before with full battery, after couple of minutes it shows me empty battery, of course auto-stop function does not works, and the fuel consumption is pretty big (around 33 mpg) a took it to the local service but they said that they found nothing wrong.....

Old 04-26-2010, 04:07 PM
Enthusiast

Frutti,

Those symptoms sound very similar.

QUESTION: Do you also see that when charging you jump very quickly all the way to 8 bars?

I've now had my new battery a month and have had zero re-cals, aven after parking the vehicle for 4 days....

In my case the techs also said they found nothing wrong. It was only in a long test drive with the shop foreman that I was able to demonstrate the issue. But "even then" he was not willing to change the battery. It was only after escalating and after a conversation from my shop foreman with his boss that he finally got permission from Honda to replace the battery.

Go check out the thread "Vehicle dumps it charge after being parked" and see if that is consistent with what you are seeing.

Honda is very reluctant to change out the battery because it is a "big ticket item". If you are having issues you will have to push and probably escalate to American Honda in order to get anything done....

Good Luck

Old 04-26-2010, 07:38 PM
Enthusiast

Smurf,
yes it charges back very quickly after that, a yes a saw the thread "Vehicle dumps it charge after being parked", i'll try to talk to them today once more, see what happens, i don't have problem to escalate the issue, so we'll see how it goes....

also sometimes i see this:

i don't think that's normal that my car charges battery when it doesn't moves....

Old 04-27-2010, 07:58 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I have parked my HCH2 for three Mths. and when I returned home the SOC was still in the same spot. I have done this on two occasions now without incident! H

Quick Reply: How many of you have had battery issues?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands