HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

IMA assist malfunction please help! ::LONG post::

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 02:13 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: IMA assist malfunction please help! ::LONG post::

Additionally, my dealership could not find anything wrong but they did install a software update without all the runaround.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:52 AM

FWIW, I found a thread on cleanmpg.com that refernces this issue. It was remedied by disconnecting the 12 V battery under the hood and allowing the hybrid battery to recalibrate. The 12 V battery actually powers the control modules for the IMA battery. Evidently this fixes the problem since it is often related to the battery control module "misreading" the level of charge in the IMA battery and thinking it's charge is too high. I am going to try it with mine as soon as I find my radio lock code since I'll need it to unlaock and reprogram the Navi.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:51 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Are you going to run the ice while the 12 volt is disconnected?

Old 08-11-2008, 11:42 AM
Enthusiast

Please let me know if this fixes the issue.

The dealership has ignored my letter. Has "misplaced" my lawyers notice.

I have found a lot of other owners who are having this issue. It is also frustrating because my car does it in all types of weather, in all driving conditions and will sometimes not work and then turn around and operate normally.

I am so frustrated I just want to run around in the dealership screaming like a mad woman because I take ridiculously good care of my car, which they know. I took it in for what was apparently a waste of my time recall work and they broke it and are refusing to fix it!!!!!!!

I have now prepared the letter to duval honda, and I will be sending it along to these people as well along with many appendices of consumers who have had the same problem:

Honda Automobile Customer Service
American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
1919 Torrance Boulevard
Mail Stop: 500 - 2N - 7D
Torrance, CA 90501-2746
U.S.A

President & CEO Honda Motor Co., Ltd.
Takeo Fukui
1-1
2-chome
Minami-Aoyama, Minato-ku, Tokyo
107-8556, Japan

President & CEO American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
Koichi Kondo
1919 Torrance Boulevard
Torrance, CA 90501
U.S.A

I also saw that a lady in california had a problem and it was covered by ABC news, but she could not get up hills....

I will call around to other dealerships and find out the costs of getting maintenance done at their shops. I think an almost $600.00 price tag to eyeball my fluids and belts is befuddling.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:46 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kristian
"S" is the second "gear" on the transmission. Usually, that will make your car use less assist than in "D" and increase the charge, but I was curious to see if it behaves similarly in both gears.

Were the updates done when you had the recall, or after you came back with your problem?

I think it's probably worth taking your car in to another dealership and getting them to check things out. It seems a little weird that your car is behaving so differently after a recall fix that wouldn't touch any of the IMA components.
I'll have to try it out in both gears. That is an interesting idea.

But they did these updates after I came back with the problem. They said they did them because that is what American Honda Tech told them to try... but then he came back and said it didnt fix anything. He said he checked my modules and they were fine as well.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Harold
Are you going to run the ice while the 12 volt is disconnected?

No, just d/c the 12V for 30 sec or so, the equivalent of unplugging a crashed computer. This has apparently fixed the isue for other HCHs. THe recals keep happening at least 2-3x a week or more, even in the morning with 65 deg. temps. Kristan has a similar problem in another thread, it will be interesting to see what his results with Honda are.

No, I haven't tried it yet. I'm on vacation and don't want to possibly get stranded in another state.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by medicmike
No, just d/c the 12V for 30 sec or so, the equivalent of unplugging a crashed computer. This has apparently fixed the isue for other HCHs. THe recals keep happening at least 2-3x a week or more, even in the morning with 65 deg. temps. Kristan has a similar problem in another thread, it will be interesting to see what his results with Honda are.
Just for clarification: Medicmike and I are having a similar problem with frequent battery recalibration which is different than the problem that Sorsh is having where her car does not assist.

Mike, I would suggest you bring your car in to the dealership and have them get you on the American Honda registry of people experiencing the frequent recalibrations. They will ask you about 20 questions relating to your commute, driving style and parking location. One of the questions related to the status of the 12 volt battery (which they checked for me and mine is working great they said).

Ask them to please NOT upgrade your software as that has worsened my condition unless they are doing a specific upgrade related to the frequent recalibration.

It seems to mainly be people driving 2006 HCHs who are having the same recalibration problem and my guess is that there is a bad run of temperature gauges or something that is affecting all of us. By getting your name on American Honda's list, it should help them narrow down the production run that is having problems.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by kristian
Just for clarification: Medicmike and I are having a similar problem with frequent battery recalibration which is different than the problem that Sorsh is having where her car does not assist.

Mike, I would suggest you bring your car in to the dealership and have them get you on the American Honda registry of people experiencing the frequent recalibrations. They will ask you about 20 questions relating to your commute, driving style and parking location. One of the questions related to the status of the 12 volt battery (which they checked for me and mine is working great they said).

Ask them to please NOT upgrade your software as that has worsened my condition unless they are doing a specific upgrade related to the frequent recalibration.

It seems to mainly be people driving 2006 HCHs who are having the same recalibration problem and my guess is that there is a bad run of temperature gauges or something that is affecting all of us. By getting your name on American Honda's list, it should help them narrow down the production run that is having problems.

Unfortunately, the software was upgraded when I first took it in for the issue ~3 weeks ago. I agree with the issue seemingly affecting 2006 models and I'm suprised the dealer didn't know anything about this issue being investigated by Honda. I think I'm going to pay them a return visit now that I have this information, though. Thanks for the suggestion!

FWIW, I seem to be able to charge up the battery relatively quickly when the car has a low ambient temp inside, and have been able to minimize my mileage losses. It seems as through the computer figures out there's not really an issue and the battery retains much of its charge?

Old 08-14-2008, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by medicmike
I'm suprised the dealer didn't know anything about this issue being investigated by Honda. I think I'm going to pay them a return visit now that I have this information, though. Thanks for the suggestion!
My dealership did not enquire with American Honda at first either. In fact, I think they were starting to blow me off a little until I explained that in 1.75 years of ownership, it had only been doing this during the last 6-8 months and it was getting progressively worse.

For what it's worth, I've had the car back 3 days now and haven't had a single recalibration event. During the time the dealership had it, they checked out the 12v battery (which I'm assuming meant disconnecting it), and they averaged 26.7mpg for 6.7miles (in other words, they either drove it like they stole it, or they ran the car on the stand for a while). I'm not sure if either of those things is the reason why I haven't had an event since, or if it is due to the cooler temps we've been having this week.

Edit: I jinxed myself by saying that I haven't had an event in the last 3 days--it crashed on my on my commute home...

Last edited by kristian; 08-14-2008 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Crashed on way home...
Old 10-11-2008, 05:39 AM
Active Enthusiast

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...tml#post188922

I have been having this issue as well, please contact me at twuelfing@gmail.com if you have been having this issue. I am trying to compile a list of customers. Also i am working on a video to shame honda on youtube and the local new channel. What they are doing here is absolutely unacceptable.

please contact me if you are experiencing these issues.

Quick Reply: IMA assist malfunction please help! ::LONG post::

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands