HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

IMA recal problem after every start-up

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 10:07 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: IMA recal problem after every start-up

Arteggio.... my 2006 had less than 24K on it when the problem started. After the software "update" made things worse.... I left it with the dealer. Their most experienced hybrid mechanic drove it for a few days with a device that gathered performance data. Thanks to the "update" there were no error messages, which meant all was performing per Honda specs. He knew that the car was not performing correctly and told me "unofficially" it must be the IMA battery.

The service manager waited until the regional rep was visiting the dealership and they asked him to pay for a replacement IMA battery and labor. Honda America agreed, the battery was replaced and all is good again.

Even before the IMA issue..... I had been very pleased with the service the dealer provided. They often go over and above. I purchased the HCH there and they also service my Accord, which my have helped.

Looking at all the people who are having similar issues and getting no relief.... I feel fortunate indeed. Until this ugly IMA and "update" issue developed I was an ardent Honda supporter. My dealer's support and service is excellent but my faith in Honda has been seriously shaken. When it is time to purchase another vehicle I will take a good, long look at the competition.

Old 12-28-2010, 04:06 PM
Enthusiast

My second battery (1st one was replaced 9 months ago) is now having recals every morning and every evening. It reaches a full SOC just before I get to work and just before I get home.

I took it to the dealer today. As expected they said the vehicle is operating normally. I asked them "Is it is NORMAL to have no battery assist 80% of the time and only get 34 mpg?"

Tonight the shop foreman is driving my car home, then back to work tomorrow to see if he experiences the same problem. We'll see what happens.....

Old 12-29-2010, 04:56 PM
Enthusiast

Well...

My dealer continues to insist that my vehicle is operating normally.

He could not answer two questions though:

1. Why did mileage significantly drop 6 months after the new battery was installed with no software updates being perfomed during that time?

2. Why does the vehicle show 7-8 bars SOC at night but has to do a recal during the first mile of driving the next morning because the computer determined the actual SOC is much lower?

I have now opened another support case with American Honda...

QUESTION: I bought the extended warranty but have no intention of keeping the vehicle for 8 years. Can I cancel the extended warranty and get my money back?

Old 12-29-2010, 06:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

I opened a case with Honda too, to no avail. Have the Honda Care warranty too. The dealer tells me that Honda says the behavior is normal, even when they see what the car does, and Honda says that since the dealer does not say there is anything wron, they cannot do anything about it.

The most they say is take it to another dealer and start all over... same as I had to do with the rear arm issue... it's getting too old.

I even provided videos to the dealer. They say that since they have another 2006 car on their lot doing the same thing, it's the normal operation of a 2006... and that my "alternator" is charging the battery. Worst is that the Honda cs I talked too also insisted that since I had a 12v battery, I also had an alternator.

Useless. I would understand this if the car had just come out. But Honda had the hybrids for years now. No excuse for being untrained.

I'm also interested on getting rid of the car and get my warranty money back.

In the mean while, I encourage you to file a complain with the nhtsa:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/Complaint.cfm

The new Hyundai Sonata hybrid is looking very very good and it's not much more than what the Honda was.

Juan S. Fernandez
2006 HCH
2006 FEH

Old 12-30-2010, 10:08 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the NHTSA link.

I have filed a complaint with the NHTSA, describing the sudden loss of battery charge as a safety issue, as you have periodic & unexpected loss of acceleration. This is a big problem if it occurs when you are pulling out into traffic. I have had several close calls...

I have opened a new case with American Honda. I expect they will contact me after the holidays....

Old 12-31-2010, 12:14 PM
Enthusiast

This is the exact same pattern I've gone through with the dealer and American Honda. I'm starting a case with the State of VA Dept of Consumer Affairs to see if that goes anywhere.

It must be wonderful to charge people thousands of dollars for warranties and then just sit back and say "your car is operating normally" and refuse to fix the problems.

If the state gets me nowhere, I may start picketing the dealers on weekends when they are running big sales.