HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

The love of my HCHII has faded!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 08:40 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: The love of my HCHII has faded!

if youre looking for legal help and advice then youre no longer interested in getting the most out of your car.
yeah, maybe this blogger/lawyer described the problem the best way he could and that's OK for anyone who's not gonna give you any solution anyway. and the Car Talk web site guys are always out of their league when talking about about any hybrid car let alone a complex car like the hch2.
there is plenty of good explanations and advice from those who really know their stuff and have the results to show. TIP: look for engineers who own these cars and write about them cause they are the only ones who can explain the real stuff and help you get the most out of your car. they helped me and others like me and im sure they can help you too.

ks

Old 06-14-2011, 05:47 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by joycehope
The link I posted was to a lawyer's blog. I thought he gave the most articulate account of the problem and I found him via a google search. He seems more reputable than some of the other lawyers but I have no way of knowing and I wanted to see what others thought. I really don't know where else to go to get help and I don't want to join the other class action based on their past performance. If anyone else has ideas, let me know. I have contacted Honda many times, gone to the dealership (they say LOTS of people have the problem but they can't do anything) the California Air Control Board, several newspapers, Car Talk website. The dealership said it's the class action suits that get Honda's attention. I have no connection to this lawyer (yet) and am open to ideas. Maybe this isn't the best forum to get the type of help I need which is more legal at this point.
we don't need hype to help your cause. if you do not like the vehicle anymore, trade it in or if you want the old software, have them put it back to your car. maybe that should correct your troubles. class action doesn't help you personally but provides income to the lawyers. what do you get in return, a free oil change coupon?

have the forum figure out your problem if it is similar to what they are having instead of hate to the company.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:49 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by evois
....or if you want the old software, have them put it back to your car. maybe that should correct your troubles....
I think the only way to do that is to replace the car's computer, ie: it's not possible to reverse an upgrade just with software.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:10 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by joycehope
Well Steve, I'm not sure I know what you mean about my comment. about checking out the website. I am so unhappy with my car and really don't know what to do. I saw the thread on this website today and the post about the class action suit but the firm didn't seem good to me. I posted the link to Steve Berk hoping others would check it out and give feedback too. I get a much better feeling about them and I have made an initial contact to their office but haven't heard back from them yet. I would appreciate feedback from anyone who knows of that firm or has a take on the post. I am not connected to them in any way except as I stated above.
Try this Forum: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.ef86546/

Old 06-18-2011, 09:36 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by condor63
Well you have every reason to feel the way you do, I just passed 18K miles in my 2010 and averaging 43mpg, join the class action and maybe Honda will finally fix it and hopefully redesign the battery with Lithium.

Has anyone noticed that with VSA off from a dead start the car accelerates much smoother and linear and quicker, noticeable difference IMO.
I noticed this post. We have a 2007 HCH with about 45K, and the software update made the CVT much smoother from a start (it used to jerk in). Mileage averaged over life of the car (trip B -- never reset so it might be last 1K miles) is 40.9. Now it's doing around 37.

I got the software update done and now the battery dies and has to recharge more often. I bought a 2011 Outback (with the 2.5 and CVT, PZEV certified) and we are selling the HCH.

I would agree that this car has been a disappointment overall.

But I will say that Honda's nav from Alpine is better than the Kenwood systems in Subi and Toyotas. We also have a 2007 Pilot AWD which is all around a good car, but averages 16.5 MPG around town.

Getting 26 MPG actual overall in the Subi and since that car is big enough for the entire family, I love it. THe CVT and the paddle shifters are much better than the HCH.

This is a great car if you want to be green and get away from Hybrids. It is also manufactured in the greenest car factory in the world.

NW

Last edited by Doberwiler; 06-18-2011 at 09:46 PM.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:29 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Doberwiler
I got the software update done and now the battery dies and has to recharge more often.
That behaviour can be deceptive. The battery is likely slowly deteriorating. But when you see the state of charge suddenly drop to zero bars, and the car starts the recalibration behaviours, it hasn't "died". What has happened:

The car's computer calculates the battery's state of charge indirectly, based on where it was, how much electricity it's requested, how much it's recharged. With an ailing battery, it will make a request for electricity, find the battery is struggling to accomplish that request, and decide it's perception of state of charge is inaccurate, and initiate recalibration.

One of the first symptoms of a recal starting is state of charge dropping to zero bars, or two bars, post software update.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:46 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mendel Leisk
That behaviour can be deceptive. The battery is likely slowly deteriorating. But when you see the state of charge suddenly drop to zero bars, and the car starts the recalibration behaviours, it hasn't "died". What has happened:

The car's computer calculates the battery's state of charge indirectly, based on where it was, how much electricity it's requested, how much it's recharged. With an ailing battery, it will make a request for electricity, find the battery is struggling to accomplish that request, and decide it's perception of state of charge is inaccurate, and initiate recalibration.

One of the first symptoms of a recal starting is state of charge dropping to zero bars, or two bars, post software update.
Well now it is almost a month after my last post, and the current tank with 280 miles on it is saying 35.4MPG -- hybrid battery recharges daily. This is after I took the car into Honda and complained and they suggested my 12 volt battery was bad (have a 120K mile zero deductible warranty -- Honda Care) -- but they say the 12V battery is bad and not covered -- I know this is BS but between kids and work -- just gotta get it done -- so I pay $140 for a $55 WalMart battery.

I mean basically this car is a total failure -- now gets 35 MPG vs. 43 when I bought it. Honda will certainly replace the battery under emissions or Honda Care warranty, bla, bla, bla.

Just stay away from this car!!!!!!

DW

Last edited by Doberwiler; 07-15-2011 at 10:53 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:03 AM
Enthusiast

Does anyone Know if the 2010 has the updated software, I have the 2010 and just passed 20k miles and mpg with AC on is now 44+. I couldn't be happier and wondering if the 2006-8 models are different at least in the firmware .

Maybe the chip set can't handle the new software flash, mechanically they should be the same.

Last edited by condor63; 07-16-2011 at 09:13 AM.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:50 PM
Enthusiast

I'm so glad I sold my HCH II.....

I put the money in savings and placed an order for a Chevy Volt.