HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Maintenance Minder Reset?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 07:24 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Maintenance Minder Reset?

Originally Posted by giantquesadilla
Spinner:
To my understanding (which may be completely incorrect), resetting the oil life %age will also reset the misc maintenance items. I think that this is what has been confusing us (at least me) because it is unclear (again, at least to me) if resetting the oil life will also reset the other maintenance intervals when they are not showing up. If someone could confirm how this works, I think everything would make more sense.
Reseting oil life does reset the next sceduled maintenance items.
Dan

Old 12-20-2007, 07:30 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Harold
Colby: The MM minder tells you when to do various maintenance items. B 1 is oil change and tire rotation. A 12345 is oil + filter change, tire rotation, air filter, plus others. It is explained in your manual, which I know you have read! If you go the yr. without putting enough miles to trigger the MM the manual says to change the oil. So do you reset the MM or leave it so it will tell you when to service the other items. Hope I did not confuse you more.H
This is incorrect.
B is oil and filter change, plus a major vehicle inspection.
A is just oil change.
1 is rotate.
2 is replace engine and dust filters, inspect drive belts.
3 is transmission fluid.
4 is spark plugs and adjust valve clearance.
5 is replace engine coolant.

Old 12-20-2007, 12:00 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks for the clarification Dan

Old 12-22-2007, 10:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rawkus
TO CLARIFY EVERYTHING PLEASE READ. I'm Dan and I am a service advisor at a local Honda dealership.

You CAN check your next recommended service using your Maintenance Minder system without reseting it, even if your at 90%.

Press your select/reset button to get to the oil life screen, then press and hold for about 10-20 seconds, and your display will indicate what services are due next. If you TAP select/reset again, it will not reset the maintenance minder system. If you want to reset the system, follow your owner's manual. I DO NOT RECOMMEND reseting your MM system without having the service done. Hope this helps.

Dan
Here is my situation:
-bought my car in April 2006
-one year later (April 2007) my Oil Life was to 50%, but I had the oil changed as recommended in the owner's manual; I then reset the maintenance minder
-I've yet to have any maintenance codes appear

So, after reading Dan's suggestion about checking the next recommended service, I gave it a try and a B1 code appeared during the "test". To me that suggests (or perhaps proves) that resetting the MM also resets any maintenance codes, regardless of whether they are currently appearing, or are in the "background" waiting to appear. My reasoning behind this is that I should have seen an A1 code at some point, but it must have been cleared out when I reset the MM in April 2007.

Knowing that a B1 is the service that is due next is helpful, but I have no way of knowing when the service needs to be done. Or should I just have the service done the next time I take my car in for an oil change?

I find it hard to believe that Honda simply "forgot" to account for this situation (ie people who don't drive a lot), when they designed the MM. Perhaps they wanted to keep the MM as simple as possible, and felt that complicating the system to benefit a small percentage of drivers wasn't worth it...

Old 01-05-2008, 11:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

Here is an excerpt that I found on the techinfo.honda.com website, that corresponds to Dan's comment...

"For owners who only drive their vehicles occasionally, and the oil life never reaches 15% at the end a 12-month period since the engine oil was last replaced, the engine oil should be replaced and the oil life indicator reset to 100%. When resetting the oil life indicator, the system will flash the maintenance item code that would have come up when the oil life reached 15%. Make sure all maintenance is done according to that maintenance item code.
The maintenance minder info is stored in the ECM/PCM and in the gauge control module. The ECM/PCM keeps track of the oil life, while the gauge control module handles the service items. If you replace the ECM/PCM, make sure you transfer the maintenance minder info from the old ECM/PCM to the new one. And if you replace the gauge control module, remember to transfer the odometer reading from the old gauge control module to the new one.
When replacing the ECM/PCM, if you run into any problems transferring the maintenance minder info, replace the engine oil. The system will start the oil life at 100%."

Old 01-06-2008, 09:07 PM
Happy Camper Enthusiast

And while it oversimplifies a little, the maintenance intervals really aren't a big mystery. It's 10,000-ish for oil changes (maybe a little less depending on your driving conditions), and major service stuff tends to go in 30,000-ish mile intervals. I think (might be wrong) the owner's manual actually does suggest mileage intervals for big things like trans fluid, coolant, valve adjustment, etc. Could just be dreaming, though. . . .

cheers --
doug