HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

MPG drop after dealer service?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 06:43 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default MPG drop after dealer service?

Just had my 12k (A2) service at the local Honda dealership that seems to be rather clueless about our cars. Going in I was getting 46-48mpg without really trying. After the service I have to work to get 41-42, and the car feels like there is a giant anchor attached to it.
Here is a list of what was done, can anyone suggest what I should do?

1. Oil change: Premium oil 0w-20 (08798-9029) which seems to match previous service records, except the windshield sticker insists that it's a regular oil, while in the past it was marked as synthetic blend. It also asks for a 3.5k service interval which seems wrong, although the dealer keeps insisting that the car does not know and it should be done at every 3.5k. (sign to look for a new dealer?)

2. 96H7 cleaning and lubrication of calipers/brakes,adjustment of emergency brake, tire rotation

3. 7261A2 safety recall brake pedal switch position.
First thing I did was bumping tire pressure back to it's usual 36, that did not help. My own guess is they either overtightened the parking brakes, or the oil is not correct.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:12 PM
Eco Accelerometrist
Default Re: MPG drop after dealer service?

Igor:

I really hate to say this but I think you should avoid that dealer at all costs.

This is unfortunate but sadly still somewhat common as many HCH-2 owners end-up finding out though their poor mileage after the A type service.
If you have no other choice of a dealer then I suggest you buy the 0W20 oil yourself and force them to use it.

Also, ignore them when they blatantly disregard the Maintenance Minder and if they insist tell them to seek updated training, take their names and write to Corporate Honda detailing the specifics.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 05-19-2008, 07:49 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

If you ran with more than 32 lbs. in your tires, its possible they dropped it down to 32 lbs..?H

Old 05-19-2008, 08:37 PM
Active Enthusiast

I just rechecked and the tires are at 35.5-36psi all around. When I went in it was at around 33-34, after service 31-32, so I bumped it up a bit. I am debating whether to go back and force them to deal with this issue or simply switch the dealer. Sure, I'll loose their "free" oil changes, but also the incompetence and pushy attempts to sell me oil and fuel treatments.. Just to give you a picture- when I went in for A1 service, I was told that I needed a $150 brake service . At 7k? I decline, and they get offended/aggressive.
As far as the Maintenance minder- their service brochure goes by 3.5k mile increment (like in the good old 80's..) and mentions that due to severe weather in Upstate NY, they differ from Honda's.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:59 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by reagle
... and mentions that due to severe weather in Upstate NY, they differ from Honda's.
Unbelievable !!!!

Severe weather? The maintenance minder takes all relevant operating factors into account, and if it is good for folks in "my winter weather" zone then it is good for 99% of all other folks in the North American continent. I'm not joking.

This dealership may "afford" the free oil changes they are giving you but you simply cannot afford their incompetence and greed. Please seek a better one. You owe that to yourself, your wallet, and your car.

Again, if you have the time and energy please report them to Corporate Honda.

Cheers;

MSantos

Last edited by msantos; 05-19-2008 at 09:03 PM.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:09 PM
Active Enthusiast

Msantos, will do. What's the appropriate way to report that?

Old 05-19-2008, 09:29 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Write to Customer Service and carbon copy the following people:

-The Customer Service supervisor at America Honda
-Manager and/or supervisor of Corporate Affairs at America Honda
-The General Manager at your current dealership
-The Service Department manager at your dealership

I suggest you be specific and detailed in describing your experiences at your current dealership and let them take care of the rest.

Good luck.

MSantos

Old 05-20-2008, 01:45 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well, on my way to work I was mostly in 37-38mpg, struggling to get 42s..So I started calling around asking when I should change oil in my car. Another dealer nearby sang the same story about oil changes at 3.5k "cause we do them for free". Finally I found one whose answer to my question about recommended maintenance was "follow car's minder, use 0W20 synthetic blend". I told myself that place may even know what they are doing. They also are a large place selling mostly upscale vehicles like Acura, Mercedes, Audi, BMW etc. So I proceeded to describe the car's behavior after the service and the advisor's first words were "they put wrong oil in. We see that all the time". His suggestion was to change oil to what they use- Mobil 0W20 synthetics blend, and check brakes (mis) adjustment. Taking it in on Thursday and will report here how it goes. I may also ask about the rear control arms TSB, as the previous dealer basically blew me off by saying "do your tires look irregularly worn or not? Yes or No? Ah, you said you are not sure? Then no."

Last edited by reagle; 05-20-2008 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:41 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Igor; Just to let you know, Honda brand 0-20 is not synthetic oil, but you should use 0-20 in your HCH2 whether it is synthetic or not. I use Honda oil for what its worth! It is hard to find Mobil one 0-20 synthetic in my neck of the woods. I guess there are not enough hybrids out there yet to warant stocking 0-20. Good luck with your next sevice.H

Old 05-20-2008, 07:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

I too, called around and asked different Honda service departments in my area when I should come in for a oil change. 2 of them said every 3k miles and the one closest to me said to follow the service plan in my owners manual. So you know which one I selected. They also offer synthetic oil as an option, although it isn't Honda brand. So far I have gone in there twice for items other than normal service and was treated quite well and was never charged a dime for anything because of my extended warranty that I got when I bought the HCH as a certified used Honda.

Quick Reply: MPG drop after dealer service?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands