HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

My first tank empty, how'd I do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 01:24 PM
teh nuberz
Default My first tank empty, how'd I do?

Well I just filled up for the first time. The car was filled before I drove it off the lot and I went 430 miles before filling up. I filled up when the light went off and it took 10 gallons. Halfway through the tank, I realized that my rear tires were only at 25psi and it wasn't until about 3/4 tank that I started getting the hang of easing up off the pedal to get that extra 10mpg. It's also F-ing hot here in phoenix right now and my a/c was cranked everywhere I went. So, keeping these factors in mind, how'd I do with my first tank?
I'm hoping that this next tank will be better. Tires are aired up, K&N is on the way, and I'm getting better at going a little slower and easier on the pedal. I'm still not sure how some of you people are getting 600 miles out of a tank though.

Last edited by ryanw; 07-09-2007 at 01:33 PM.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:27 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: My first tank empty, how'd I do?

Good job.

You just keep practicing.

Zero a trip meter every morning and beat yesterday's number.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:05 PM

Good job! I agree with Kenny on the trip meter. I have several spots along my commute where I have a good idea what my mileage should be and I make a quick mental comparison at every one. That has helped my FE hugely.

Once you start to get used to hitting high FE, experiment with your routes and see if you can find a route where you get better results. I found that I was hitting the same red lights on a big hill every day. By turning a mile earlier, I don't hit a red light until I get to the top of the hill. It's funny how little things like that make a difference, and you would never have never noticed it in a "normal" car...

Old 07-05-2007, 02:26 PM

Looks good to me. My first tank was 47.5 mpg over 453 miles.

Old 07-05-2007, 05:40 PM
Energy Independence

Excellent first tank!

Old 07-05-2007, 05:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

Don't forget that the engine wears in after a few thousand miles. My first tank was 43. My latest was 50. You'll get there.

Old 07-05-2007, 06:23 PM
teh nuberz

I didn't buy the car new, it had 18,000 on it so it should be well broken in by now. I'm also going to put synthetic oil in next oil change. In my last car I did that and noticed a 4mpg difference. Hopefully it has that same effect in this car.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:23 PM
Energy Independence

ryanw,

The car probably already has 0-20W oil in it.
There is some debate over whether the Honda oil is synthetic or not, although most believe it is NOT.
Changing to full synthetic is probably not going to make 4MPG difference, although if using 0-20W synthetic, that's about as good for your MPG as you can get.
Love your enthusiasm, man!

Old 07-11-2007, 12:13 PM
Enthusiast

I only put 360 miles given had over a 1/4 tank left when I filled it only took 8.2gal to fill it up.
Mileage / driving habits have done much better on the second tank. I am now averaging 47.3 in town driving and got 53.1 on a highway trip this last weekend. My wife really enjoys riding in the HCH with me, says its much more relaxing. I got stuck behind a motor home on the highway trip and was content to stay behind it. If you knew me you would be amazed. In the past I would have past the RV and the six cars in front of it. If for no other reason than changing my driving habits gotta love the car.

Anyway love the car shooting for EPA mileage and seems completely reasonable to get it. Even seems easy to get on the hwy. Lot and Lots of short stop and go sections in town.

Old 07-11-2007, 12:40 PM
teh nuberz

I can relate. In my old car I would have done the same thing, but now I am perfectly happy sitting behind someone who is only going the speed limit.

Quick Reply: My first tank empty, how'd I do?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands