HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Navigation System Removal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 03:43 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Navigation System Removal?

Does anybody know where I can get detailed instructions or pictures of how to remove the Navigation System. I am installing a Parrot LS3200 Bluetooth handsfree kit and need to get to the back harness. I installed a Parrot CK3100 Bluetooth kit in my 2000 Celica GT, so I am not worried about taking the dash apart, however, I know nothing right now about where the screws and clips are. It is not normally advisable to go into this type of job totally blind.

P.S. I sure wish Honda had been more reasonable to offer this as a dealer installed option as it is a huge SAFETY feature. I have had kits in both my cars for 2 years now and would never be without one. It is especially sad when they already have the steering wheel mounted voice recognition system installed already in the Navigation system. Just plain stupid!!! I gave my Honda dealer major kudos during my post purchase interview, but blasted Honda corporate for no Auto Headlight Off feature (Standard in just about every car I know of for the last 8 years) and the lack of Bluetooth support, especially when this is a standard feature on the Prius w/navigation system.

Old 07-26-2006, 08:30 AM
Hybrideriffic!
Default Re: Navigation System Removal?

Some of the instructions in this might help (the dash disassembly):

http://www.hondapartsdeals.com/honda...attachment.pdf

Old 07-26-2006, 08:30 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

The instructions for installing the Music Link will tell you how to get it out. I've got the Nav system, and these instructions work (although they show the non-Nav radio).

Old 07-26-2006, 11:24 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks guys as this will help a lot. Blinkard, it sounds like you have already installed the music link and basically I need to do the exact same procedure to install the BT kit, which I will probably even mount where they recommend the Music link be installed. Is it necessary to remove the meter panel because it overlaps the center panel? There is no other reason I can see to have to remove that. What kind of tape did you use to protect the dash; what about electrical tape? Also do you have any recommendations on what is the best way to unclip the clips that seem to be used extensively to hold everything in place. These kind of tips really help from somebody who as already been there, done that.

Thanks again

Old 07-26-2006, 12:06 PM
Hybrideriffic!

Cherokee180c,

I took the dash apart on my non-NAVI HCHII in order to install a Panavise satellite radio mount. My thoughts on the matter...

1. You only need a Phillips screwdriver to remove a couple of screws, and then all the dash panels snap off in a specific order (starting under the steering wheel, then working up, and over to the radio area).

2. There's no need to tape the dash... unless of course you intend to *pry* on the dash panels... which you absolutely DO NOT want to do!

3. All the clips used in the dash basically pop free by gently (but firmly) yanking on the panels at each clip. Simply use common sense and pull straight at each clip.

4. Everything went back together easily in the reverse order. Simply line each panel snap back up with its receptacle and carefully pop them all back into place.

Best regards,

John L.

Old 07-26-2006, 12:09 PM
Enthusiast

Cherokee,

Were you able to purchase the plugs to put in between the Parrot and the radio / navi. If so, what company did you buy them from?

My installer ordered a set from Parrot and they sent plugs that did not match the back of the HCH II navi. He wound up using them on an installation of the Parrot on a 2006 Odyssey. We're still waiting for the pluds instead of cutting wires.

When he was removing the dash, he used what looked like a plastic putty knife. He said it was a tool he purchased that was designed to pop the clips but not dent / deform the dash. He said most cars have clips instead of screws nows and without the tool, he would be paying for a lot of replacement panels.

Old 07-26-2006, 12:57 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Yes, you have to remove the panel around the gauges, because it overlaps the the panel that holds the stereo.

I used plain old masking tape. I suppose you could use electrical tape, but I was concerned that it might leave residue. I don't know that you really have to use the tape, but I figured that while putting things back together it's possible that the back of the new panel might scratch the front of the old one. Better safe than sorry, especially on a then-3-week-old car.

I didn't pry the panels up, I just slowly and gently tugged until they came loose. It's pretty easy.

The only thing that was a problem was re-plugging in ALL those connectors. There are a lot. Fortunately, some are color coded, and the rest will only fit in one place.

Old 07-26-2006, 07:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks again. I would like to find where to buy that tool if it is cheap, although I am very careful and never, ever break anything.

Six pack, the connector you supposedly need is a Metra part# 70-1722 and 71-1722. These are the male and female connectors for the new 2006 Civics. The only reason I say supposedly is that I have not gotten mine in yet and opened up the dash to verify. You can order these parts from www.installer.com. You can also buy the ISO connectors for the other side if you want and make a harness where you will not need to cut the ISO plugs off the Parrot mute cable, but since you already need to solder the wires from the Metra connectors that does not make much sense. Installer.com is waiting on the entire harness to arrive, but it is not due in until mid September, which is too late for me. This way, you simply cut off the ISO connectors off the Parrot mute cable and solder each wire to the corresponding correct wire on the new harness. You will not need to cut anything in the car. The entire harness will cost $50+ when it comes in, where the new Honda connectors will only cost you $38 with shipping.

Old 07-28-2006, 10:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

Six Pack,

DO NOT buy the Female Metra Connector for connecting to the car harness!!! It is only for an aftermarket radio installation as it does not have all the wires that are needed for the Navigaion system! The male is fine as it has all the wires. I installed the system anyway figuring I might only lose dimmer or something else trival, but the navigation system is not working right now. It can not tell where I am exactly, so I think one of the missing wires must be communication to the gyro or a motion sensing signal. My BT phone is working perfect, but no Nav. Now I am going to have to wait for the correct harness to fix the problem, but I already cut off the ISO connectors off the Parrot harness, so I will still have to re-solder the speaker wires back onto the new harness. Anyway the hard part of the installation is over. I just can't decide if I want to be without phone for a month or with out Nav.

Here is what I learned during the installation. Be very careful when putting the radio section back in as my air duct did not line up right and I could not get the clips in correctly. It took me for ever to figure out it was the corner of the air duct preventing the top of the radio section from going in all the way. Watch for the environment sensing hose at the bottom. Lastly don't drop the screws under the radio or you will spend a long time trying to find them! All in all the installation did not go too bad, but the civic has absolutely no room to work in the dash area! The steel frame that you see when you remove the dash pieces is also very impressive. I believe that car is really built for safety.

Old 07-29-2006, 04:55 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cherokee180c
Six Pack,

DO NOT buy the Female Metra Connector for connecting to the car harness!!! It is only for an aftermarket radio installation as it does not have all the wires that are needed for the Navigaion system! The male is fine as it has all the wires. I installed the system anyway figuring I might only lose dimmer or something else trival, but the navigation system is not working right now. It can not tell where I am exactly, so I think one of the missing wires must be communication to the gyro or a motion sensing signal. My BT phone is working perfect, but no Nav. Now I am going to have to wait for the correct harness to fix the problem, but I already cut off the ISO connectors off the Parrot harness, so I will still have to re-solder the speaker wires back onto the new harness. Anyway the hard part of the installation is over. I just can't decide if I want to be without phone for a month or with out Nav.

Here is what I learned during the installation. Be very careful when putting the radio section back in as my air duct did not line up right and I could not get the clips in correctly. It took me for ever to figure out it was the corner of the air duct preventing the top of the radio section from going in all the way. Watch for the environment sensing hose at the bottom. Lastly don't drop the screws under the radio or you will spend a long time trying to find them! All in all the installation did not go too bad, but the civic has absolutely no room to work in the dash area! The steel frame that you see when you remove the dash pieces is also very impressive. I believe that car is really built for safety.
Sorry to hear you had trouble but glad the BT is working. Thanks for the heads up and hope you get the other harness soon.

Matt

Quick Reply: Navigation System Removal?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands