HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Need some advice on MPG issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 08:29 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Need some advice on MPG issues

Wow...the air filter will really do it for an engine efficiency. I believe your problems are solved. Cheers

Old 12-28-2009, 08:56 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

One thing I find interesting about hybrids is that people seem to pay a lot closer attention to them than whatever their previous car was. A person wouldn't realize that their mileage had dropped by 20% if they never checked it before, or didn't have an iFCD. I wonder how many posts complaining about mileage are the result of something silly like that air filter (or under inflated tires, a flat 12v battery, a stuck thermostat, etc) vs. an actual problem with the IMA system.

That being said, I'm not sure I buy the air filter story your dealer gave you Todbot. I don't think it is possible to put it in upside down, and I don't think it being in backwards would have any impact--it's a rectangle without any arrows or anything. There isn't a gasket on it either, unless you count the rubber sides.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:00 PM
Active Enthusiast

Air filter filters in one direction only so if install incorrectly could have a negative impact on performance. Now I am not sure of the HCHII air filter on if they cannot be installed incorrectly since I never installed one. Cheers

Old 12-29-2009, 06:23 AM

Yes, air filters in one direction (in this case down). I don't think it would be possible to put the filter in up side down...and if a service tech did, they would have to be a major idiot to do so.

Todbot--did you notice the mpg problems start after a trip to the dealership when an air filter was installed? Or was it a more gradual thing?

Old 12-29-2009, 09:48 AM

I haven't had mine out in awhile but I believe kristen is correct. The filter can only go in one way? Cheers, Hal

Old 12-29-2009, 11:15 AM
Active Enthusiast

Then the dealer not telling the truth!!!

Old 12-29-2009, 06:08 PM
Enthusiast

I guess I will have to go in a check the air filter myself and see if his story holds up. Now, to find the air filter!
Todd

Old 12-29-2009, 06:13 PM

I pulled mine out and checked it today. The seal is at the top and cannot go in first, however it only fits properly one way with the seal at the top. there is a little tab that must be on the left side when re-installing! Hal

Old 12-29-2009, 08:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hal - Good job & thanks for the info...I was going to do just that but so cold here in Toronto that I put if off for warmer climes - today was -9C with windchill of -20C

Todbot - Did your car improve?

Old 12-30-2009, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Harold
I pulled mine out and checked it today. The seal is at the top and cannot go in first, however it only fits properly one way with the seal at the top. there is a little tab that must be on the left side when re-installing! Hal
I was going to check mine last night too, but we had a delivery right when I got home and then I forgot. You're right, there is a little tab there, so not only is it impossible to put in upsidedown, but it's impossible to put in the wrong direction.

I'm not sure what your dealer did to improve your car Todbot, but I'm strongly thinking that it didn't have anything to do with the air filter...

Quick Reply: Need some advice on MPG issues

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands