HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Need some advice on MPG issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 09:28 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Need some advice on MPG issues

My 2 cents......The history seems to indicate a rich mode of operation that is acceptable to the vehicle as it is not setting a fault. (check engine) Could be a faulty air temp sensor or some similiar item. As it seemed to get better after the last trip to the dealer it is possibly intermittent.

The engine controls on new vehicles are exotic but not always redundant so a Scan Gauge and a human watching the numbers could go along ways towards picking up on what is happening.

Seriously doubt it is associated with the filter in anyway other than perhaps a connection that was removed and reinstalled while servicing the car.

You aren't feeding it E85, right? Hope the problem stays gone as getting that kind of mileage in a HCH is rare.

Old 01-03-2010, 06:13 AM
Enthusiast

Just wanted to post an update. My mileage has indeed not improved. I think that the dealer may have unhooked the battery and "reset" the car on my last visit. Whenever I have done that in an attempt to remedy the situation I have noticed better mileage for the fist couple of trips, then I am right back to where I was prior to "resetting" the car. Thanks everyone for checking on the air filter and I will let you know what happens after my next visit. I haven't been using E85 although we are definitely in the winter mix of gas here. Do you have any thoughts on where to pick up a scan gauge for a reasonable amount? The dealer's service rep has told me to make some mileage logs to bring in with me on my next visit. So I will do that over the next week.
Todd

Last edited by todbot; 01-03-2010 at 06:16 AM.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:58 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Todd;
Check out cleanmpg.com. They sell scan gauges to members. I think around $149.00 . Hal

Old 01-03-2010, 12:54 PM
Active Enthusiast

Whats your current consumption...it is winter here in toronto and I get 35MPG City which I am told is very good. My compute is more in traffic than free flowing highway. I also thought there was something wrong with my car but after a few trips to the dealer and software upgrade I am told all is good. I pretty much believe this is so since I am not a hypermiler and drive the car normally but within the posted speed limits, mainly because I don't want to get a ticket than increasing mileage. I believe we all so particular with this hybrid that we want to get 50MPG but you need to drive it very conservatively to get such mileage and also in the right conditions. Warm weather and drive not in a rush. Also slow acceleration. Cheers

Old 01-03-2010, 05:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by todbot
I think that the dealer may have unhooked the battery and "reset" the car on my last visit. Whenever I have done that in an attempt to remedy the situation I have noticed better mileage for the fist couple of trips, then I am right back to where I was prior to "resetting" the car.
that's why msantos always warns about the doing the reset the right way. most dealers do the reset wrong and the owners don't drive it right for the next 2-3 days. he told me to do the reset myself cause the dealer will try to charge it back up by blasting the snot of the rpm in the bay. so I drive the car as nice as I can after a reset and surprise surprise, its much easy to get good fe after that.

ks

Old 01-03-2010, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by todbot
Do you have any thoughts on where to pick up a scan gauge for a reasonable amount? The dealer's service rep has told me to make some mileage logs to bring in with me on my next visit. So I will do that over the next week.
Todd
Thanks for the update.

There is nothing you can log with the Scan Gauge (from a mileage perspective) that you can't already log with the HCH instruments--it's a waste of money in my opinion. I run one in my wife's MMH and love it, but Ford has opened up a lot of the stuff that Honda isn't willing to share (SoC, battery temps, traction motor RPM, traction motor voltage, etc). I put the SG in my HCH for about two weeks to learn information about throttle position, and engine load, but pulled it afterwards because I wasn't able to see meaningful numbers on the IMA system.

If you want to do an mpg log, reset trip B every time you drive somewhere and log the distance, mpg, temperature, battery start bars, battery fininsh bars, etc. Of those, only mpg is useful with the SG, and you'll need to spend a few tanks calibrating before it's any more accurate than the HCH stock gauges.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by linx3566
Whats your current consumption...it is winter here in toronto and I get 35MPG City which I am told is very good. My compute is more in traffic than free flowing highway. I also thought there was something wrong with my car but after a few trips to the dealer and software upgrade I am told all is good. I pretty much believe this is so since I am not a hypermiler and drive the car normally but within the posted speed limits, mainly because I don't want to get a ticket than increasing mileage. I believe we all so particular with this hybrid that we want to get 50MPG but you need to drive it very conservatively to get such mileage and also in the right conditions. Warm weather and drive not in a rush. Also slow acceleration. Cheers
Proofread, LOL