HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

New 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid Owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 02:14 PM
Enthusiast
Default New 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid Owner

Hi gang...I'm new to this forum. Waiting on delivery of my 2008 Civic Hybrid...(Aug 15th or so) and have been reading alot of posts...looks like I made the correct choice vs getting the over-priced Toyota Prius. The sales rep wanted approx $7,000 over msrp for the Prius...and a 2 month wait as well.

If I learn how to adjust my driving habits, it looks like the MPG is negligible between the two.

Saw the Tarrabella article about Hypermiling...that sounds interesting.

What other tips can anyone give me? I noticed an online database that can help you track your mpg progress over here...how does that work and how do you set that up in your profile?

Thanks in advance!

HBJ

Old 07-31-2008, 02:55 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid Owner

Hi, Bob! I mean Hybrid Bob!

Old 08-01-2008, 05:26 AM
Enthusiast

Welcome Bob J, and congratulations on your new car! I picked mine up just 6 days ago and I'm loving every minute of it.

I haven't investigated the database, so I can't help you there.

Like you are doing, I investigated the car and driving techniques before I got the car. When I finally got the car, I just drove it like a regular car, and familiarized myself with it. Then I started trying to apply simple fuel saving techniques like "glide" and slow acceleration. I also had to adjust to the auto-stop. My suggestion for the auto-stop is to do your best to anticipate forward movement and try to let the brake off a half-second or second before you need to move, allowing the engine to come online in a stable fashion before giving it gas (some people complain about a shudder if you get on the gas too quickly). You could even let the car begin to move forward under it's own steam for a split-second before pushing the accelerator.

The folks here have been helpful! You might just get the car and work on the simple stuff for a few days first. Frankly, it can be a little dangerous to start out if your eyes spend too much time on the gauges, so get a handle on the simple stuff first and adjust to the car for a few days before you try to push your fuel efficiency.

Looking forward to hearing from you in mid-August.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:46 AM
Enthusiast

Congrats on your new car, nehch2! What color did you go with and did you get the nav opt or not? Mine will be equipped with the nav option and is the Magnetic Pearl color. It was very tough to try to buy without actually seeing the car on the lot. I've haven't seen many of these on the road.

Are you guys keeping a log book with you or does the HCH2 have a way to store this info?

Does anyone know what the production numbers are on the 2008 HCH2?

Looking forward to hearing from a few of you...and getting excited to get my new toy!

HBJ

Old 08-01-2008, 06:03 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hybrid Bob J
Congrats on your new car, nehch2! What color did you go with and did you get the nav opt or not? Mine will be equipped with the nav option and is the Magnetic Pearl color. It was very tough to try to buy without actually seeing the car on the lot. I've haven't seen many of these on the road.

Are you guys keeping a log book with you or does the HCH2 have a way to store this info?

Does anyone know what the production numbers are on the 2008 HCH2?

Looking forward to hearing from a few of you...and getting excited to get my new toy!

HBJ
No nav. Mine is silver, and I didn't get to choose the color. Nor did I have an option to get Nav. My story is probably similar to others; I selected the dealer based on my experience with them maintaining my Accord. I just walked in, told them I wanted a hybrid, and they pretty much told me to take a hike (that's what it felt like they were saying).

Then I had to "sell" to them my desire to get a hybrid. I learned there was one (they get one/month) due in 2 months; silver, blue interior, no nav. They said they would be glad to sell it to me for sticker. I agreed and gave a down-payment.

The HCHII has 2 trip odometers, each of which logs mileage and MPG for that mileage. I plan to let Trip-A run for lifetime mileage, and will reset Trip-B at each fill-up.

I might also keep a log book but we'll see. For my Miata I had a spreadsheet of date and cost-to-fill for the past 6 months or so, but might keep better numbers at least including gallons of gas as well.

No idea about production numbers.

Old 08-01-2008, 06:11 AM
Enthusiast

Similar experience with me...it seemed strange to not be able to actually see the car I was buying on the lot...just going on word of mouth about the car. I think that this is the main reason that people need to inform themselves. As things today are much more virtual...by knowing what you are looking for "before" making a purchase, you can save alot of $$ and time at the dealership.

Also, I'm thinking if most dealers only get 1 or 2 cars that come in a month...that comes out to 12/24 hybrids a year of that model....that doesn't seem like too many hybrids being sold!

Does that sound about right? I would think they would sell 2-3 a week!

EDIT: I just found this info on another thread....mind blowing...

June 2008 report - The Honda Civic Hybrid saw total sales of 2,710 sold, down 6.1% compared to the June 2007 sales period.

Is this due to car availability, competition, or the technology?

HBJ

Last edited by Hybrid Bob J; 08-01-2008 at 06:40 AM.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:19 AM
Enthusiast

Hello and welcome to the site Bob. I have been lurking around this site for about six months and found this site very helpful on my HCH2 purchase over the Prius. I also purchased the 08 Magnetic Pearl w/ nav. I am very happy that I made my purchase in March when the HCH2 was more readily available and you could buy below sticker, seems like they are very limited now and selling at sticker. Good luck with the new ride!

Old 08-01-2008, 12:39 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hybrid Bob J
What other tips can anyone give me? I noticed an online database that can help you track your mpg progress over here...how does that work and how do you set that up in your profile?
The biggest tip I can offer is for you to reset your "trip B" every time you get behind the wheel. That way, you can watch your average for just the segment you are driving and get meaningful feedback on what works and what hurts. If you do the same drive every day, keep in mind your usual MPG at certain points along the drive and try to improve on that every day. You will eventually get to the point where it's hard to improve any more, but it's still nice to see how you are doing.

In terms of the online database, it's pretty self explanitory. Click on the add a new car button, select the '08 HCH and fill in the rest of the info. Then, whenever you fill up, jot down the mileage on the receipt and then enter it next time you visit here (buy clicking the Manage my cars and then Add a new tank).

Good luck and post up any questions you have. This site has been a great resource to help me learn how to drive the HCH!

Old 08-06-2008, 09:49 AM
Active Enthusiast

My Car Should Be Here The 8/8 Or 8/9 The Production Number On Mine Is 28319
It Is White With Nav. I Went To Two Dealers, The First One I Got A Test Drive And A Offer To Buy That One If The Person Who Ordered It Didn't Show Up. They Did! And All Of Their 2008's Were Spoken For. Dealer Number 2 Had Two Cars In August Open One Nav And One Plain, Took The Nav, White......it So Close I'm Drooling.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:56 PM
Great Mileage and Green

The situation sure has changed from March 2007 when the dealer in Boulder, Colorado had six Civic Hybrids on the lot and I picked the one with the least mileage, 3.8 miles, in the color I liked best, Galaxy Grey.

Enjoy your new Civic Hybrid and keep reading the posts here and on other equally informative sites and you can't go wrong.

I keep Trip A for each tank of gas and Trip B for the lifetime average. A Trip C would be nice for each trip, but I suspect I would not remember to check that often.

Quick Reply: New 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid Owner

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands