HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

New card reader & setting up folders

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 09:51 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default New card reader & setting up folders

Okay, I've given up trying to get my existing card reader and SD cards to work with my audio system... just too many glitches. I've taken the "plunge" and purchased a new Compact Flash reader and 1 GB card. The good news is that it now works!

I am having only one problem... with the system not recognizing individual folders. I've sorted my music with most contemporary music in the root directory. There are two sub-folders labeled as "Oldies" and "Light Jazz". I can get the system to play things in the folders, but only by skipping songs to the end of the root directory. Seems there's no way to select the specific folder I want (and to play only songs within that folder). It looks like there should be a way. There are menu options for folders, but they seem to be grayed out and non-selectable.

I'm wondering if there's a specific format to how the folders must be named for this feature to work properly. Can anyone comment on this? Thanks.

Old 04-18-2007, 08:05 AM
Über Lord of Hypermillia
Default Re: New card reader & setting up folders

Did you format your card on a Mac or a PC?

If you did it on a Mac, the Mac puts hidden resource files on the CF card in addition to the actual data files and folders.

The Radio which is running Windows CE then tries to read the resource files (.DS files). This can cause the radio to "hang" as it goes through all of the resource files before it finds the valid data files.

There is a Mac application called Blue harvest that will remove these pesky files.

If you formated the card on a PC, it should pretty much be a 1:1 copy. Make sure your file names are not too long.

Old 04-20-2007, 12:17 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The computer I grabbed my files from is a PC (not Mac).

I did have success today in getting the folder thing to work. Seems I wasn't holding my finger over the folder icon long enough. When I held it there for a second or two, the menu finally listed all the folders.

Everything else works perfectly, and I even have some songs in there that are higher than 192 bitrate. I believe someone had mentioned that the system wouldn't play files higher than 192.

It cost a few bucks, but I'm glad to finally have that thing working!

Old 04-21-2007, 09:05 PM
Enthusiast

Anyone else having issues with folders and songs being messed up and changed after inserting into the head unit? They are fine on the pc and for some reason mixed up in the car. I have a brand new sd card and reader.......can't seem to figure this out..

Old 05-01-2007, 11:21 AM
Enthusiast

I have had the same problem with my songs. I don't think it was designed very well. It doesn't even seem to read CD track information, and wants to jumble everything up alphabetically.

I had given up, and haven't really thought about it much...ever since I had a Sirius satellite radio installed!!! Yeah, I know...the car was already XM ready...but I actually liked the content on Sirius better...and now they are merging...Go figure...