HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

New driver with old issues?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 10:33 AM
Enthusiast
Default New driver with old issues?

I've had my Civic for about 2 months now and I absolutely love it for the look to the performance.
My only issues with the car are:

1. When using AC, the air can suddenly go from cold to hot and back to cold. Is this something that is commonplace, or is it just my conditions?

2. When at a complete stop, I'll remove my foot from the brake and the car will roll back which makes me kind of nervous on inclines. It doesn't do this on a regular basis. Once again is this normal?

3. Occasionally when braking either hard or soft, I hear a buzzing noise.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:03 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New driver with old issues?

#1 - Don't use AC enough to say - sorry I can't be helpful.

#2 -typical of the CVT in this car. trick is to keep your foot on the brake so the car stays in Auto-stop.

#3 - typical. This is the regenerative braking. You may also hear strange noises when accelerating - this is likely the electric motor.

Eric

Old 08-06-2008, 11:17 AM
Excited to have it!

1. Are you using Auto AC or regular AC (AC ON)?

2. In auto stop the engine is off, so it isn't providing any resistance to rolling back. Best thing to do is keep you foot on the brake to keep auto stop engaged until you are ready to go. As soon as you completely remove your foot from the brake, the engine should fire up and it should start creeping forward.

3. Agree with williaea, it is normal.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:37 PM
Active Enthusiast

this rollback from a hill happens in my car as well, mine is a gas civic sedan, so its completely normal.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:46 PM
Great Mileage and Green

1 - Never have had a problem with my A/C, which is normally set on AUTO at 75 degrees.
2 - I've never encountered this problem, even on the hills found all around the Front Range.
3 - Sounds like the regenerative braking, though not something I hear all that much.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:54 PM
Enthusiast

1. Could it be that you have the climate control set and the temp gets too cold so it tries to bring the temp back up to your desired temp by blowing out hot air?

Old 08-07-2008, 11:43 AM
Active Enthusiast

One feature of the auto climate control is a sunlight sensor on the dash which directs more cool air to the dash vents when it senses direct sunlight. If you are driving in an area of tall buildings or trees you may find the sensor keeps redirecting the cool airflow as you pass in and out of the direct sun. This may be causing what you are experiencing.

As explained elsewhere, the most efficient use of the A/C is to use auto and set the control at the highest numerical setting first and then gradually lowering it to the level you find comfortable. This maximizes the use of the electric compressor rather than the belt driven compressor which puts a noticable load on the ICE. I find that I'm quite comfortable at a setting several degrees above what I keep my home thermostat.

Others have already dealt with your other questions very well.

Cheers from another recent member and new HCH owner!